Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
Taylor Taylor is offline

Default Change Names of Legend

Normally I wouldn't reply, but since the real experts may be off for
the weekend. Hopefully this helps, I don't know if I'll be following
up.
Okay, I've got Sheet1
Starting with A1, I lay out the data like this:
A B C
1 Plastic Hardware
2 Jan 10 20
3 Feb 12 24
4 Mar 13 29
5 Apr 15 33

If I chart this, the series formula for Plastic is:
=SERIES(Sheet1!$B$1,Sheet1!$A$2:$A$5,Sheet1!$B$2:$ B$5,1)

And the series formula for Hardware is:
=SERIES(Sheet1!$C$1,Sheet1!$A$2:$A$5,Sheet1!$C$2:$ C$5,1)

That first section (where you have nothing, just a comma) is where I
have a cell designating
what shows in the legend.
=SERIES(SeriesName, CategoryName,SeriesData,SomeSwitchICantRemember)

SeriesName = Plastic/Hardware,
CategoryNames = Months of the Year or whatever you are plotting it by
on the x-axis
SeriesData = Cells showing you sold 10 Plastic units in Jan, 12 in
Feb, 13 in Mar etc.
SomeSwitchICantRemember = Some Switch I Can't Remember what it does.
Leave as 1, I suppose.

Taylor

'Not sure how you got your formula data, this may be the hard way, but
I write in my VBA debugging window (with the chart selected):
debug.Print activechart.SeriesCollection(1).FormulaLocal
(is this how you got yours?)

On Aug 16, 11:07*am, Elaine wrote:
Hello,

I understand that you change the actual text that appears in the legend, not
the font of it. I tried to follow the example given on this site and doesn't
work.

Here is the formula for one of the markers in the Chart. The formula refers
to 2 markers on the chart. I would like one marker in the legend to be
"plastic" and the other "hardware"

*=SERIES(,Sheet1!$C$2:$C$28,Sheet1!$B$2:$B$28,1)

Thank you very much for your help. This is for a presentation due on Monday.
--
Thank you... Elaine