Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
Neil Goldwasser

Default Hide series names for unused data from chart legend

Hi! Does anybody know a way to specify that a chart legend does not display
the name for a data series? Basically, I have 5 series plotted to allow for
up to 5 modes on my chart, and all the points use the same coloured lines to
demonstrate that they are all the same thing (modes). The legend wants to
display the names for all of them ("Mode 1", "Mode 2", etc...) but I would
prefer it to have just one entry (i.e. I would change "Mode 1" to simply
"Mode", to show that any green line is a mode, regardless of how many there
are - could range from 0 to 5 modes, depending on the data).

Is there a way (preferably avoiding VBA) to not show all the series names?
(I must have the legend visible to show the parts I do want seen). I thought
of just typing a space for the series name so that it comes up blank, but I
still get the 5 green line indicators, and I just need one.

If anybody has any ideas I would be very grateful for the help.
Neil
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
Mike Middleton

Neil -

Click the legend area once to select the entire legend area. Pause. Click a
single legend entry. Press Delete.

- Mike
www.mikemiddleton.com

"Neil Goldwasser" wrote in
message ...
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
Neil Goldwasser

Thanks Mike! Seems so simple now, but until you learn you can do that you'll
never know will you?

Thanks for your help, it was really getting on my nerves!
Neil

"Mike Middleton" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
Neil Goldwasser

Hi again Mike! Sorry, I forgot to ask something. Let's say that having
deleted it, it later becomes apparent that I need the series name back in the
legend again - how would I do this please?

Again, many thanks for your help, Neil

"Mike Middleton" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
Jon Peltier

Neil -

It's not so easy, but then not too hard. Delete the legend, and using the
button on the chart toolbar or using Chart menu Chart Options Legend
tab, add it back.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP