Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Default How do I make a chart with 4 bars on one axis/1 line on 2nd axis?

I am trying to do something that seems like it should be simple with a custom
graph, but in trying to build my own custom graph am not seeing how to really
do any customizing.
I want to make a 2-axis chart, but instead of 1/2 the series being bars and
1/2 lines, I want to do all bars except for the very last one as a line (4
bars, 1 line).
I'm using MS Excel 2000.
Thanks for any help!
AnnieW
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

On Fri, 15 Aug 2008, in microsoft.public.excel.charting,
AnnieW said:
I want to make a 2-axis chart, but instead of 1/2 the series being bars and
1/2 lines, I want to do all bars except for the very last one as a line (4
bars, 1 line).

So-called "combination" charts in Excel are a bit of a racket. They act
like they're offering you something special or difficult, but really,
every single series is individually customizable, within certain limits.

So just make a plain old bar chart, then right-click on the very last
series, and change the chart type to a line. You don't need those half
bar/half line "special" types.

--
Del Cotter
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Make the chart with five bars, right click the bar series you want as a
line, choose Chart Type, and choose a line type. Then right click on the new
line series, select Format, and navigate on the dialog until you have a
chance to change the axis to secondary.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
_______

"AnnieW" wrote in message
I am trying to do something that seems like it should be simple with a
custom
graph, but in trying to build my own custom graph am not seeing how to
really
do any customizing.
I want to make a 2-axis chart, but instead of 1/2 the series being bars
and
1/2 lines, I want to do all bars except for the very last one as a line (4
bars, 1 line).
I'm using MS Excel 2000.
Thanks for any help!
AnnieW

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

AnnieW said:
I want to make a 2-axis chart, but instead of 1/2 the series being bars
and
1/2 lines, I want to do all bars except for the very last one as a line (4
bars, 1 line).

So-called "combination" charts in Excel are a bit of a racket. They act
like they're offering you something special or difficult, but really,
every single series is individually customizable, within certain limits.

In fact, the built-in combination charts are less flexible and predictable
than a combination chart you make yourself. Suppose you make a built in
combo with 2 lines and 2 columns, then you want to add 2 lines. Excel will
helpfully make the chart into a 3 line-3 column combo. If you create it
yourself from a 4 line series, and change two to columns, then Excel will
not be compelled to change what you've already done.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
_______

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Jon Peltier said:
"Del Cotter" wrote in message
So-called "combination" charts in Excel are a bit of a racket. They act
like they're offering you something special or difficult, but really,
every single series is individually customizable, within certain limits.

In fact, the built-in combination charts are less flexible and predictable
than a combination chart you make yourself. Suppose you make a built in
combo with 2 lines and 2 columns, then you want to add 2 lines. Excel will
helpfully make the chart into a 3 line-3 column combo. If you create it
yourself from a 4 line series, and change two to columns, then Excel will
not be compelled to change what you've already done.

That's terrible, I had no idea they did that. But that's because I never
touch the things.

--
Del Cotter