Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Default Aligning lines in a chart

Hi

I have a chart created from three different worksheets. They are lists of
defects grouped on dates, and each sheet contains one status.

The x-axis has dates, the y-axis has number of defects.

The problem seems to be aligning the different lines from these worksheets.
The groups are not on the same dates, so I have three tables that can look
like this (only first three, sorted):
Date New Defects
27.05.2008 9
28.05.2008 14
29.05.2008 14

Date Fixed Defects
28.05.2008 7
29.05.2008 6
30.05.2008 8

Date Closed Defects
29.05.2008 1
02.06.2008 9
03.06.2008 3

So the lines in the chart does not align properly. Two of the lines end far
right in the chart with no x-axis labels, for instance.

See results he http://www.questus.no/Default.aspx?tabid=38
Especially notice the bottom right corner.

How can I align these lines? How can I make sure the line values fall on
correct dates along the x-axis?

Any help appreciated.

Regards,
Rolf

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

See the similar message (with an identical subject line) from Rolf Barbakken
earlier today.
--
David Biddulph

"notnoisy" <u44479@uwe wrote in message news:863ebb2de43e6@uwe...
Hi

I have a chart created from three different worksheets. They are lists of
defects grouped on dates, and each sheet contains one status.

The x-axis has dates, the y-axis has number of defects.

The problem seems to be aligning the different lines from these
worksheets.
The groups are not on the same dates, so I have three tables that can look
like this (only first three, sorted):
Date New Defects
27.05.2008 9
28.05.2008 14
29.05.2008 14

Date Fixed Defects
28.05.2008 7
29.05.2008 6
30.05.2008 8

Date Closed Defects
29.05.2008 1
02.06.2008 9
03.06.2008 3

So the lines in the chart does not align properly. Two of the lines end
far
right in the chart with no x-axis labels, for instance.

See results he http://www.questus.no/Default.aspx?tabid=38
Especially notice the bottom right corner.

How can I align these lines? How can I make sure the line values fall on
correct dates along the x-axis?

Any help appreciated.

Regards,
Rolf

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

I think the problem is that you are mixing data from different tables and put
they towards an x-axis that not match your data. Your data for New defects
for 29.05.2008 is 14 but in the chart the data is 9 which seems to be data
for the 27.05.2008. You have to mark data from the same date to align the
lines.

"notnoisy" skrev:

Hi

I have a chart created from three different worksheets. They are lists of
defects grouped on dates, and each sheet contains one status.

The x-axis has dates, the y-axis has number of defects.

The problem seems to be aligning the different lines from these worksheets.
The groups are not on the same dates, so I have three tables that can look
like this (only first three, sorted):
Date New Defects
27.05.2008 9
28.05.2008 14
29.05.2008 14

Date Fixed Defects
28.05.2008 7
29.05.2008 6
30.05.2008 8

Date Closed Defects
29.05.2008 1
02.06.2008 9
03.06.2008 3

So the lines in the chart does not align properly. Two of the lines end far
right in the chart with no x-axis labels, for instance.

See results he http://www.questus.no/Default.aspx?tabid=38
Especially notice the bottom right corner.

How can I align these lines? How can I make sure the line values fall on
correct dates along the x-axis?

Any help appreciated.

Regards,
Rolf

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Sorry. Didn't know the other message would end up here. I thought the two
forums were separate.

"David Biddulph" <groups [at] biddulph.org.uk wrote in message
See the similar message (with an identical subject line) from Rolf
Barbakken earlier today.
--
David Biddulph

"notnoisy" <u44479@uwe wrote in message news:863ebb2de43e6@uwe...
Hi

I have a chart created from three different worksheets. They are lists of
defects grouped on dates, and each sheet contains one status.

The x-axis has dates, the y-axis has number of defects.

The problem seems to be aligning the different lines from these
worksheets.
The groups are not on the same dates, so I have three tables that can
look
like this (only first three, sorted):
Date New Defects
27.05.2008 9
28.05.2008 14
29.05.2008 14

Date Fixed Defects
28.05.2008 7
29.05.2008 6
30.05.2008 8

Date Closed Defects
29.05.2008 1
02.06.2008 9
03.06.2008 3

So the lines in the chart does not align properly. Two of the lines end
far
right in the chart with no x-axis labels, for instance.

See results he http://www.questus.no/Default.aspx?tabid=38
Especially notice the bottom right corner.

How can I align these lines? How can I make sure the line values fall on
correct dates along the x-axis?

Any help appreciated.

Regards,
Rolf

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Problem is I cannot be sure the three sources/sheets will have the same
dates. Some dates will have only new defects, for instance.

So in some way I either have to add "missing" dates to the sheets (with 0
defects, which would look strange), or find some other way.

I'm trying to show a trend in defects.

Thanks

"notnoisy" skrev:

Hi

I have a chart created from three different worksheets. They are lists of
defects grouped on dates, and each sheet contains one status.

The x-axis has dates, the y-axis has number of defects.

The problem seems to be aligning the different lines from these
worksheets.
The groups are not on the same dates, so I have three tables that can
look
like this (only first three, sorted):
Date New Defects
27.05.2008 9