Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Default Dummy series and data table

Hi,

I have a chart that presents 2005, 2006, 2007 summary data as a column
chart and then 2007 by month as a line. To show the yearly data I have
a yearly category, after which I have individual months where the
yearly data is zero - sort of like a dummy series - because I only
have one value for them. The 2007 detailed data has zero in the yearly
column but all the individual values in the monthly columns. It worked
fine until I was asked to add a data table to the chart. Now, since it
has 2007 twice - once as the summarized for the year and the other as
all these individual months - some users are confused (God bless them)
and are asking me to combine both series into one, which of course is
not possible because you can't have one series that are two chart
types - since summarized yearly data is a column , and monthly is a
line. Is there any way to somehow combine these two series so that
they don't show up on a data table twice? I was thinking of having
columns pasted as pictures but don't know how to do that.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Data tables do not allow the kind of functionality you (and many other
people) wish for. All data in the chart has to go into the data table.

You might instead try to create a table in the worksheet near the chart. You
will have more flexibility in terms of what data you include and how it's
formatted. The fact that it's not actually part of the chart is not
necessarily a bad thing.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP