Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
RW RW is offline

Default Show Data Table Only

Is there a way to display the data table only and have the size of the data
table be very close to the size of the chart area?

I've succeeded in removing the graph but when I shrink the chart, the data
table gets smaller also. Any help is appreciated.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Gee, I thought that's what the worksheet was for. I make my own data tables
in the worksheet, so I can select what data to include and how to format it.
The data tables built into charts are notoriously inflexible.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
_______

"RW" wrote in message
Is there a way to display the data table only and have the size of the
data
table be very close to the size of the chart area?

I've succeeded in removing the graph but when I shrink the chart, the data
table gets smaller also. Any help is appreciated.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
RW RW is offline

Yes, you are correct. Except that the data in the data table is transposed
from the data on the worksheet. I have about 50 charts in a workbook that are
linked to powerpoint. The boss now wants to do away with the charts and only
present the data as formatted in the data table.

I tried to copy the data and transpose paste in another area of the
worksheet but that would have to manually be done every month. I was hoping
that the paste special had a setting to paste cell references but I couldn't
find it. After that I thought about somehow just using the data table on the
chart.

Of course, I could set up the transpose cell references manually but that
will take a long time since one can not enter a cell reference and use fill
to fill the rest (due to the transposition) unless I just don't know how to
do it.

BTW, the data in the database is in a format that one can not use a query to
get the layout needed. thanks for any additional help you can provide.

"RW" wrote in message
Is there a way to display the data table only and have the size of the
data
table be very close to the size of the chart area?

I've succeeded in removing the graph but when I shrink the chart, the data
table gets smaller also. Any help is appreciated.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
RW RW is offline

Are you referring to "Paste Special - Transpose"? If so, yes I have. However,
it transposes data. It will not transpose the cell references. If it doesn't
transpose the cell references then someone will have to copy the data and
Paste Special - transpose monthly. This isn't acceptable.

"RW" wrote in message
Is there a way to display the data table only and have the size of the
data
table be very close to the size of the chart area?

I've succeeded in removing the graph but when I shrink the chart, the
data
table gets smaller also. Any help is appreciated.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

No. I am not referring to Paste Special/ Transpose. I am referring to the
TRANSPOSE function. As with all Excel functions (except DATEDIF) try
looking in Excel Help.
--
David Biddulph

"RW" wrote in message
Is there a way to display the data table only and have the size of
the
data
table be very close to the size of the chart area?

I've succeeded in removing the graph but when I shrink the chart,
the
data
table gets smaller also. Any help is appreciated.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Set up a centralized worksheet. Copy the data from various places, and use
paste special - formulas, so the data on the centralized sheet links to the
sources. Now just drag the cells around to get the proper arrangement. It'll
take a while, but if the source workbooks are properly updated, you should
only have to do this once.

Alternatively you could use various lookups or index/match formulas to get
the data into the centralized sheet.

- Jon
-------