Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Default column titles

I have a column chart. Excel has automatically inserted consecutive numbers
underneath the columns. I want to replace these with text, unique labels
for each column. I thought this would be an ultra-simple, ultra-intuitive
task, but I can't find anywhere to do it in Excel, and I can't find anything
on the web. How do I replace Excel's default numbers with text?
--
Curtis Croulet
Temecula, California

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

You need to set the data out like this

north 23
east 45
south 12
east 24

and make your chart using all this data; the names (North, etc) will be the
x-axis labels. You have no x-values so Excel provided 1,2,3
best wishes
--
Bernard V Liengme
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Curtis Croulet" wrote in message
I have a column chart. Excel has automatically inserted consecutive
numbers underneath the columns. I want to replace these with text, unique
labels for each column. I thought this would be an ultra-simple,
ultra-intuitive task, but I can't find anywhere to do it in Excel, and I
can't find anything on the web. How do I replace Excel's default numbers
with text?
--
Curtis Croulet
Temecula, California
33°27'59"N, 117°05'53"W

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

If you don't want to reconstruct the chart, go to Chart menu Source Data
Series tab, select the series from the listbox, then click in the Category
(X axis) Labels box, and select the range containing the axis labels.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Tutorials and Custom Solutions