Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Default Why does the Y axis invert in charting?

Hi,

In a spreadsheet, I have a list of variables down column A, with information
out to the left. When I chart that information in a stacked bar graph (so the
variables are on the Y-axis of the graph), Excel inverts the order of the
variables. So the variables that were at the bottom of the spreadsheet are
now at the top of the chart. Is there anything I can do to fix this, other
than reordering my variables in the spreadsheet?

Thanks,
Nathan
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Right-click the vertical axis, select Format axis, click on the Scale tab,
then also select the bottom 2 checkboxes: Categories in reverse order and
Value (Y) axis crosses at maximum category.
Bob Umlas
Excel MVP

"nathanhutto" wrote:

Hi,

In a spreadsheet, I have a list of variables down column A, with information
out to the left. When I chart that information in a stacked bar graph (so the
variables are on the Y-axis of the graph), Excel inverts the order of the
variables. So the variables that were at the bottom of the spreadsheet are
now at the top of the chart. Is there anything I can do to fix this, other
than reordering my variables in the spreadsheet?

Thanks,
Nathan

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Thanks Bob, that was perfect!

-Nathan
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Bob gave you the standard workaround, but you did ask "why". To many people
it makes no sense.

The "why" is like this: as you count down the items in column A, imagine
them numbered starting with 1. The first item is charted first, the second
item after that, etc. So in a stacked chart, A is the bottom of the totem
pole, with B on top of A, and so on. In a horizontal bar chart, the
categories run from category 1 (the first item in column A) closest to the
axis, with item 2 above that, 2 slots from the axis, etc.

When you look at it from this standpoint, it makes perfect sense.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
_______

"nathanhutto" wrote in message

In a spreadsheet, I have a list of variables down column A, with
information
out to the left. When I chart that information in a stacked bar graph (so
the
variables are on the Y-axis of the graph), Excel inverts the order of the
variables. So the variables that were at the bottom of the spreadsheet are
now at the top of the chart. Is there anything I can do to fix this, other
than reordering my variables in the spreadsheet?

Thanks,
Nathan

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Right click the axis, and on the first tab of the dialog, check the
appropriate boxes under the axis scale settings.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Tutorials and Custom Solutions