Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Default Bar Graph with Pictures

My boss asked me to make a bar graph and spreadsheet that will track
the sales of her employees. She will input there sales at the end of
each day.

Each bar on the graph will be for a different employee and as the bar
grows she wants a picture at the very end to move. For instance if we
were doing a sales event that involved the beach she would want me to
make the bar look like waves and the picture at the end a surfer dude.

Any way to make this happen? If not maybe it could be a scatter plot
with the picture as the marker (don't know how to do this either).

Thanks for any help,

Jason

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

If you have a shape already on your spreadsheet, click once on the shape. Go
to Edit - Copy. Then click on the bar / bars of the chart. Go to Edit -
Paste. This will paste the shape into the chart.

Andy Pope provides more of an explanation using CTRL-C to copy the shape and
CTRL-V to paste the shape into the chart:

http://www.andypope.info/tips/tip009.htm

--
John Mansfield
http://cellmatrix.net

"Jason" wrote:

My boss asked me to make a bar graph and spreadsheet that will track
the sales of her employees. She will input there sales at the end of
each day.

Each bar on the graph will be for a different employee and as the bar
grows she wants a picture at the very end to move. For instance if we
were doing a sales event that involved the beach she would want me to
make the bar look like waves and the picture at the end a surfer dude.

Any way to make this happen? If not maybe it could be a scatter plot
with the picture as the marker (don't know how to do this either).

Thanks for any help,

Jason

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

"Jason" wrote:
My boss asked me to make a bar graph and spreadsheet that will track
the sales of her employees. She will input there sales at the end of
each day.

Each bar on the graph will be for a different employee and as the bar
grows she wants a picture at the very end to move. For instance if we
were doing a sales event that involved the beach she would want me to
make the bar look like waves and the picture at the end a surfer dude.

Any way to make this happen? If not maybe it could be a scatter plot
with the picture as the marker (don't know how to do this either).

Thanks for any help,

Jason

Thanks for the advice John. After I read your advice I thought about
the different types of graphs excel has. Then I got the idea to use a
stacked bar graph. What I did was on the series that is on top I put
the picture, on the bottom series, that measures the sales, I made
invisible (I could have bone waves). Then through some hidden
formulas I subtract the space the picture takes from what has been
sold. This makes the edge of the picture at the point that has been
sold. I also locked the cells and the graph to make sure it is not
messed with. Might have been more work then necessary but it gets the
job done and no one is complaining.

Thanks again John.