Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Default Can Excel use addresses to create points on a Map?

I am trying to create a Graph from a bunch of addresses and have them show up
on a map of California/U.S.A. I was wondering if anyone has done that and
can help me.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Hi,

Excel does not have such a feature.

--
Sorry,
Shane Devenshire

"Nate" wrote:

I am trying to create a Graph from a bunch of addresses and have them show up
on a map of California/U.S.A. I was wondering if anyone has done that and
can help me.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

On Wed, 26 Sep 2007, in microsoft.public.excel.charting,
ShaneDevenshire said:

Excel does not have such a feature.

Sure it does. XY (Scatter) Chart, using a map of the area as a picture
Background. Set the axis scale maxima and minima to match the
background's known corners, and plot the locations as points.

--
Del Cotter
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Nate:

You can export your Excel based addresses to GoogleEarth or GoogleMap and
produce a professional looking map.

JuiceAnalytics has a very nice Excel workbook that provides tools to get the
latitudes and longitudes of your addresses, create a Keyhole Markup Language
(KML) file (KML is map version of XML), then open GoogleEarth and display
your addresses in GoogleEarth.

Here's the link to Juice's free workbook.

http://www.juiceanalytics.com/writin...oding-tool-v2/

You'll need access to a geocode service. I use Yahoo's. It's free, you just
need to have a User ID.

Also, you'll need to have GoogleEarth or GoogleMap on your PC. Also free.

With GoogleEarth of GoogleMap you can make custom maps by turning map
features on/off, and adjusting zoom level. If needed, you can copy/paste
your GoogleEarth map back into Excel or include a link to the real map.

The marriage of Excel for data handling and GoogleEarth/Map for map display
makes a lot of sense. Why try to digitize a crude map in Excel when you can
use a powerful tool like GoogleEarth for your maps?

Kelly O'Day

http://processtrends.com

"Nate" wrote in message
I am trying to create a Graph from a bunch of addresses and have them show
up
on a map of California/U.S.A. I was wondering if anyone has done that and
can help me.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Excel had this feature in the 1997 version, a mapping feature which it
removed from the program. You can fake it but nevertheless, this feature has
been removed and is no longer included.

--
Cheers,
Shane Devenshire

ShaneDevenshire said:

Excel does not have such a feature.

Sure it does. XY (Scatter) Chart, using a map of the area as a picture
Background. Set the axis scale maxima and minima to match the
background's known corners, and plot the locations as points.

--
Del Cotter

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

On Thu, 27 Sep 2007, in microsoft.public.excel.charting,
ShaneDevenshire said:

Excel had this feature in the 1997 version, a mapping feature which it
removed from the program. You can fake it but nevertheless, this feature has
been removed and is no longer included.

I'm not referring to the Microsoft Map thematic mapping feature, that
was removed after (I think) MS developed it as a separate application
called MapPoint. I'm talking about a scatter graph on a picture.

(I've also done it with bubble graphs, but that's less convenient as
there is no easy way to make the bubble radius scale properly)

Are you saying that Excel no longer supports the use of pictures as
backgrounds to the plot area?

--
Del Cotter