Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Default Color Map

I have Excel 2007 and so far have been quite pleased with the improved chart
graphics. We have a set of data and would like to apply a color map to it IN
the chart if this is possible. I know I can color cells based on condition,
but can the same be done inside the chart also on a given set of data points?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Hi,

The chart has a new graphics engine in xl2007 but no new chart styles.
It may well be possible to create a work around but I not sure it's worth
the effort.

Why do you need the colour map in a chart instead of cells?

Cheers
Andy

--

Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel
http://www.andypope.info
"chemdball" wrote in message
I have Excel 2007 and so far have been quite pleased with the improved
chart
graphics. We have a set of data and would like to apply a color map to it
IN
the chart if this is possible. I know I can color cells based on
condition,
but can the same be done inside the chart also on a given set of data
points?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

The spreadsheet and graph is a representation of compounds and some of their
properties. We were hoping that we could use a color map and conditionals on
the graph itself to show how they change with given conditions.

Thank you for the reply though.

"chemdball" wrote in message
I have Excel 2007 and so far have been quite pleased with the improved
chart
graphics. We have a set of data and would like to apply a color map to it
IN
the chart if this is possible. I know I can color cells based on
condition,
but can the same be done inside the chart also on a given set of data
points?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

On Tue, 7 Aug 2007, in microsoft.public.excel.charting,
chemdball said:
I have Excel 2007 and so far have been quite pleased with the improved chart
graphics. We have a set of data and would like to apply a color map to it IN
the chart if this is possible. I know I can color cells based on condition,
but can the same be done inside the chart also on a given set of data points?

A bubble chart fed by a sufficiently complex cell range could do it. The
rows would need to cycle though all the combinations of x and y value
within the limits of the chart area, and the columns would each
represent a color. The bubbles in each cell row would be of radius zero,
except for the value in the column, to be decided using a formula.

You can either live with the overlap of circles, or live with the white
gaps between circles, or replace the circles with Autoshape squares. By
designing a 0.5 unit offset into every second row (I mean "row" in the
array of bubbles on the chart, not row of cells in the sheet), you can
make the chart space hexagonal instead of square gridded.

--
Del Cotter