Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Default pivot chart question

Okay, I'm sure I'm not using the correct language while asking this question,
so bare with me....
I have a bar chart plotting volume numbers for each package we sell.
However, only ONE product sells over 1000 cases a week and the rest of the
products are like 10 to 40. So, my chart has one long bar for one product
and small ones which you can hardly see. Is there anyway to build a chart
that doesn't skew out so much. Thanks for the assistance.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Hi,

You can do this by using two axes - one for the small series, the other for
the large series. I invented a way to do this about 15 years ago for column
charts but the same technique works for bars.

Before I write out the steps - what version of Excel are you using <=2003 or
2007? And are these bars or columns?

--
Thanks,
Shane Devenshire

"J L C" wrote:

Okay, I'm sure I'm not using the correct language while asking this question,
so bare with me....
I have a bar chart plotting volume numbers for each package we sell.
However, only ONE product sells over 1000 cases a week and the rest of the
products are like 10 to 40. So, my chart has one long bar for one product
and small ones which you can hardly see. Is there anyway to build a chart
that doesn't skew out so much. Thanks for the assistance.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Oh and one more thing, in the title you mention pivot chart, but you don't in
the body of the message. Is this chart from a pivot table and if so do you
need to retain the link between the chart and pivot table range?

--
Thanks,
Shane Devenshire

"J L C" wrote:

Okay, I'm sure I'm not using the correct language while asking this question,
so bare with me....
I have a bar chart plotting volume numbers for each package we sell.
However, only ONE product sells over 1000 cases a week and the rest of the
products are like 10 to 40. So, my chart has one long bar for one product
and small ones which you can hardly see. Is there anyway to build a chart
that doesn't skew out so much. Thanks for the assistance.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

hi shane, very interested in seeing what you described below. once the site
is back up please post your solution, thanks!

"ShaneDevenshire" wrote: Hi, You can do this by using two axes - one for
the small series, the other for the large series.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Double click a series, on the Axis tab of the dialog select Secondary.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
_______

"mwam423" wrote in message
hi shane, very interested in seeing what you described below. once the
site
is back up please post your solution, thanks!

"ShaneDevenshire" wrote: Hi, You can do this by using two axes - one for
the small series, the other for the large series.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

It depends on the chart type you've selected. If you've selected any of the
(unsavory) 3D flavors, you cannot mix chart types or axes. If you stick with
the 2D varieties you have a lot more flexibility.

- Jon
-------

"Jon Peltier" wrote:

Double click a series, on the Axis tab of the dialog select Secondary.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
_______

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Is the OP's problem though that it's a single point in a series that is out
of proportion with the rest. Rather than two series with different value
spreads.

Cheers
Andy

--

Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel
http://www.andypope.info

"Jon Peltier" wrote:

Double click a series, on the Axis tab of the dialog select Secondary.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
_______

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

I have come across this same issue. It is specific to trying to create a
secondary axis within a "pivot chart". The secondary axis option is grayed
out. (not selectable)
With a chart sourced by a data set within a worksheet, no problem, secondary
axis is available. I've been all over the net trying to find an answer and
your discussion was the closest to the topic.

My opinion is that the secondary axis option isn't an option within a pivot
chart.

I'm hoping someone can prove me wrong.

Appreciate any feedback.

Respectfully,

Neil R.

"mwam423" wrote in message
hi shane, very interested in seeing what you described below. once the
site
is back up please post your solution, thanks!

"ShaneDevenshire" wrote: Hi, You can do this by using two axes - one for
the small series, the other for the large series.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

On Wed, 27 Jun 2007, in microsoft.public.excel.charting,
Ricker said:

I have come across this same issue. It is specific to trying to create a
secondary axis within a "pivot chart". The secondary axis option is grayed
out. (not selectable)
With a chart sourced by a data set within a worksheet, no problem, secondary
axis is available. I've been all over the net trying to find an answer and
your discussion was the closest to the topic.

My opinion is that the secondary axis option isn't an option within a pivot
chart.

I can't test it here as I didn't bring my work laptop home tonight, but
I've certainly gotten Pivot Charts to produce a secondary axis.

http://www.juiceanalytics.com/writin...-excel-charts/

Are you sure you had two series to actually use two secondary axes?

--
Del Cotter
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

"mwam423" wrote in message
hi shane, very interested in seeing what you described below. once the
site
is back up please post your solution, thanks!

"ShaneDevenshire" wrote: Hi, You can do this by using two axes - one for
the small series, the other for the large series.

Back to original statement, Double Clicking on Series in "Pivot Chart" and then selecting the "Axis" Tab, the "secondary axis" option is gray out. No worky, worky.:(