Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Default 2007: Can't set axis max by date

I am finding in 2007 that if i go to the "format axis" dialog, and for "max"
put a date, like "5/1/07", this will not format the axis with that as the
maximum. I have to [correctly] translate it to the serial number for the
date (in this case 39203) and enter that value into the dialog. In previous
versions, one could just enter the date in this dialog and the chart axis
was correctly formatted with the date value that you entered directly into
the dialog as the correct max for the axis [with no need to translate to
serial number for that date].

Is this a bug? Or is this the intended behavior? If so, why? Its a real
hassle to go back to the sheet and figure out what the correct serial number
should be in order to enter it into the dialog. Is there an option or a way
around this [extremely irritating] behavior?

Thank you. tom

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Default Can't set axis max by date

Tom,
I made a Line chart with dates in XL2007 and had no trouble entering a date
in the Maximum box.
best wishes
--
Bernard V Liengme
www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme

"TomCon" wrote in message
I am finding in 2007 that if i go to the "format axis" dialog, and for
"max" put a date, like "5/1/07", this will not format the axis with that as
the maximum. I have to [correctly] translate it to the serial number for
the date (in this case 39203) and enter that value into the dialog. In
previous versions, one could just enter the date in this dialog and the
chart axis was correctly formatted with the date value that you entered
directly into the dialog as the correct max for the axis [with no need to
translate to serial number for that date].

Is this a bug? Or is this the intended behavior? If so, why? Its a real
hassle to go back to the sheet and figure out what the correct serial
number should be in order to enter it into the dialog. Is there an option
or a way around this [extremely irritating] behavior?

Thank you. tom

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Bernard -

This works for a line chart, but not for an XY chart. I consider this a bug.
I also consider it a bug that when you click on the value in the Max box,
39175.0, the whole number isn't highlighted. The "39175" part is
highlighted, while the ".0" is not.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
http://PeltierTech.com
_______

"TomCon" wrote in message
I am finding in 2007 that if i go to the "format axis" dialog, and for
"max" put a date, like "5/1/07", this will not format the axis with that
as the maximum. I have to [correctly] translate it to the serial number
for the date (in this case 39203) and enter that value into the dialog.
In previous versions, one could just enter the date in this dialog and the
chart axis was correctly formatted with the date value that you entered
directly into the dialog as the correct max for the axis [with no need to
translate to serial number for that date].

Is this a bug? Or is this the intended behavior? If so, why? Its a
real hassle to go back to the sheet and figure out what the correct
serial number should be in order to enter it into the dialog. Is there
an option or a way around this [extremely irritating] behavior?

Thank you. tom

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Default Can't set axis max by date [yes, problem for X-Y chart

Yes, i woudl confirm that my case is an x-y chart. Is there any chance this
can be fixed sometime soon? What a hassle (did not happen in XL 2003, even
with X-Y charts).
Thanks,
tom