Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Default custom chart... please help!

I have a lot of data I need to process. Many different categories. What I'd
like to do is have some hybrid of a column chart and xy scatter chart... X
axis=location, Y axis=result, and at each location have several "criteria"
such as A,B,orC. However, I'd like to actually see a marker for each data
point so I can see outliers and where the majority of the data lies. The raw
data is in columns and not sorted. Tried pivot table with no success. I have
conquered some VBA and programming in the past and wouldn't object to that
approach with some guidance. Please help!
Thanks,
Leslie

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

It's possible to have a column and xy scatter but...

I think we would need to see some sample data and an explanation of what the
desired results would be for that sample.
--
Cheers,
Shane Devenshire

"Leslie" wrote:

I have a lot of data I need to process. Many different categories. What I'd
like to do is have some hybrid of a column chart and xy scatter chart... X
axis=location, Y axis=result, and at each location have several "criteria"
such as A,B,orC. However, I'd like to actually see a marker for each data
point so I can see outliers and where the majority of the data lies. The raw
data is in columns and not sorted. Tried pivot table with no success. I have
conquered some VBA and programming in the past and wouldn't object to that
approach with some guidance. Please help!
Thanks,
Leslie

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

On Sat, 24 Feb 2007, in microsoft.public.excel.charting,
ShaneDevenshire said:

It's possible to have a column and xy scatter but...

I think we would need to see some sample data and an explanation of what the
desired results would be for that sample.

I think he means each marker in the scatter chart to be a tiny column
chart. I've done something like that before, using error bars for the
columns. There needs to be a sort of horizontal jitter to separate the
columns from each other, and a way to mark where the exact point on the
scatter chart is meant to be.

--
Del Cotter
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

That's different than I envisioned. I thought the person wanted a summary
similar to a box and whisker chart but showing the points in addition to the
summary bars.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
http://PeltierTech.com
_______

ShaneDevenshire said:

It's possible to have a column and xy scatter but...

I think we would need to see some sample data and an explanation of what
the
desired results would be for that sample.

I think he means each marker in the scatter chart to be a tiny column
chart. I've done something like that before, using error bars for the
columns. There needs to be a sort of horizontal jitter to separate the
columns from each other, and a way to mark where the exact point on the
scatter chart is meant to be.

--
Del Cotter
NB Personal replies to this post will send email to
,

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Precisely, I just am not sure what the user wants and I don't want to spend a
lot of time going in the wrong direction. If its a box and whisker there are
numerious ways to do that. If you wants error bars, there are many ways to
do that, but, who knows?

--
Cheers,
Shane Devenshire