Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Default charts are making documents huge!

I am creating graphs in excel and then copying them to Powerpoint, the
problem is that both the Excel workbook and the powerpoint document are
increasing dramatically in size.

I have copied 27 charts to powerpoint and the document is now 63MB big and
the Workbook is now 32MB.

It seems as if the charts are somehow becoming huge (in terms of size)

What can i do
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

This is because when you copy and paste a chart or even a small range
into PowerPoint as an Excel object it embeds then entire workbook each
time.

There are several options to avoid this, each has it's merits and
drawbacks.
1. Copy the chart to a new workbook, Edit + Move or Copy chart (to new
workbook). Then copy and paste that chart into PPT. Then delete the
new workbook.
2. Shift + Edit + Copy as picture and choose at screen resolution or
printer resolution. Paste into PPT. Is now a picture and not tied to
any data.
3. Copy the chart and in PPT choose Paste Special as Windows Metafile.
Is now a picture and not tied to any data.

Brian Reilly, MVP

On Tue, 16 Jan 2007 06:22:00 -0800, Win75
wrote:

I am creating graphs in excel and then copying them to Powerpoint, the
problem is that both the Excel workbook and the powerpoint document are
increasing dramatically in size.

I have copied 27 charts to powerpoint and the document is now 63MB big and
the Workbook is now 32MB.

It seems as if the charts are somehow becoming huge (in terms of size)

What can i do

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Thanks Brian

I will try these methods !

Any thing is now better than 63MB files!

Thanks

Winston

wrote:

I am creating graphs in excel and then copying them to Powerpoint, the
problem is that both the Excel workbook and the powerpoint document are
increasing dramatically in size.

I have copied 27 charts to powerpoint and the document is now 63MB big and
the Workbook is now 32MB.

It seems as if the charts are somehow becoming huge (in terms of size)

What can i do

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

In article , Win75
@discussions.microsoft.com says...
I am creating graphs in excel and then copying them to Powerpoint, the
problem is that both the Excel workbook and the powerpoint document are
increasing dramatically in size.

I have copied 27 charts to powerpoint and the document is now 63MB big and
the Workbook is now 32MB.

It seems as if the charts are somehow becoming huge (in terms of size)

What can i do

Brian did not mention my favored approach.

Copy the chart in Excel. Then, in PowerPoint, use Edit | Paste Special...
and choose the 'Link' option.

Tushar Mehta
www.tushar-mehta.com
Custom MS Office productivity solutions
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Tushar,
'Cuz Brian doesn't like that method (vbg). Steve Rindsberg likes it so
I can never agree with anything with Steve so I don't like it (g). I
find Links fragile unless I control all computers and even if you
ungroup the chart to break the link, I found that also fragile till I
gave up doing it. Maybe just anecdotal bias.

Hope to see you in March.

Brian Reilly, MVP

On Tue, 16 Jan 2007 13:17:53 -0500, Tushar Mehta
wrote:

In article , Win75
says...