Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Default highlighting a row on the Y axis

Hello all!

I'm using Excel 2003, and have a charting question: I'm charting some
ratios for my work on a line chart, but would better like to show whether the
said ratio is "above" or "below" our target by somehow accentuating the
"target" on the Y axis. I don't want to create a series called "target" and
plot it on the chart.

For example, one of my charts has major Y axis numbers of .05, 1, 1.5 and 2.
Our "Target" for this particular chart is 1. How can I accentuate this
particular axis line on the chart to immediately see at a glance if a
particular point is above target or below target??

Much thanks in advance.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

You have to add a series to highlight a gridline or target line:

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
http://PeltierTech.com
_______

"Wanda" wrote in message
Hello all!

I'm using Excel 2003, and have a charting question: I'm charting some
ratios for my work on a line chart, but would better like to show whether
the
said ratio is "above" or "below" our target by somehow accentuating the
"target" on the Y axis. I don't want to create a series called "target"
and
plot it on the chart.

For example, one of my charts has major Y axis numbers of .05, 1, 1.5 and
2.
Our "Target" for this particular chart is 1. How can I accentuate this
particular axis line on the chart to immediately see at a glance if a
particular point is above target or below target??

Much thanks in advance.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Jon -

Your website looks very helpful, and I'm going to give it a go. Before I
do, tho, one question..... are the charts listed on the web pages two
different examples of the same chart (one bar chart and one line chart)??

Wanda

"Wanda" wrote in message
Hello all!

I'm using Excel 2003, and have a charting question: I'm charting some
ratios for my work on a line chart, but would better like to show whether
the
said ratio is "above" or "below" our target by somehow accentuating the
"target" on the Y axis. I don't want to create a series called "target"
and
plot it on the chart.

For example, one of my charts has major Y axis numbers of .05, 1, 1.5 and
2.
Our "Target" for this particular chart is 1. How can I accentuate this
particular axis line on the chart to immediately see at a glance if a
particular point is above target or below target??

Much thanks in advance.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Jon -

Tried both methods for adding the line, and they "almost" worked..... that
is to say, that I got a line to appear on the y axis, but the line did not go
from one end of the chart to the other end of the chart? I have 12 points on
the x axis, representing the 12 months of the year. I have 3 data series,
representing data from 2004,2005 and 2006. The new line that I added only
covers January thru October, but not November and December?

This happened when I tried both methods - the error bar method and the
series method.

"Wanda" wrote in message
Hello all!

I'm using Excel 2003, and have a charting question: I'm charting some
ratios for my work on a line chart, but would better like to show whether
the
said ratio is "above" or "below" our target by somehow accentuating the
"target" on the Y axis. I don't want to create a series called "target"
and
plot it on the chart.

For example, one of my charts has major Y axis numbers of .05, 1, 1.5 and
2.
Our "Target" for this particular chart is 1. How can I accentuate this
particular axis line on the chart to immediately see at a glance if a
particular point is above target or below target??

Much thanks in advance.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

You may not have scaled the secondary X axis properly. If you use an XY
series that goes from 0 to 1, Excel will use a default scale of 0 to 1.2.
On a scale of 0 to 1.2, a line from 0 to 1 goes from January through
October.

- Jon
-------