-   -   highlighting a row on the Y axis (https://www.excelbanter.com/charts-charting-excel/124725-highlighting-row-y-axis.html)

Wanda

highlighting a row on the Y axis

Hello all!

I'm using Excel 2003, and have a charting question: I'm charting some
ratios for my work on a line chart, but would better like to show whether the
said ratio is "above" or "below" our target by somehow accentuating the
"target" on the Y axis. I don't want to create a series called "target" and
plot it on the chart.

For example, one of my charts has major Y axis numbers of .05, 1, 1.5 and 2.
Our "Target" for this particular chart is 1. How can I accentuate this
particular axis line on the chart to immediately see at a glance if a
particular point is above target or below target??

Much thanks in advance.

Jon Peltier

highlighting a row on the Y axis

You have to add a series to highlight a gridline or target line:

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
http://PeltierTech.com
_______

"Wanda" wrote in message
Hello all!

I'm using Excel 2003, and have a charting question: I'm charting some
ratios for my work on a line chart, but would better like to show whether
the
said ratio is "above" or "below" our target by somehow accentuating the
"target" on the Y axis. I don't want to create a series called "target"
and
plot it on the chart.

For example, one of my charts has major Y axis numbers of .05, 1, 1.5 and
2.
Our "Target" for this particular chart is 1. How can I accentuate this
particular axis line on the chart to immediately see at a glance if a
particular point is above target or below target??

Much thanks in advance.

Wanda

highlighting a row on the Y axis

Jon -

Your website looks very helpful, and I'm going to give it a go. Before I
do, tho, one question..... are the charts listed on the web pages two
different examples of the same chart (one bar chart and one line chart)??

Wanda

"Wanda" wrote in message
[...]

Tried both methods for adding the line, and they "almost" worked..... that
is to say, that I got a line to appear on the y axis, but the line did not go
from one end of the chart to the other end of the chart? I have 12 points on
the x axis, representing the 12 months of the year. I have 3 data series,
representing data from 2004,2005 and 2006. The new line that I added only
covers January thru October, but not November and December?

This happened when I tried both methods - the error bar method and the
series method.

"Wanda" wrote in message
Hello all!

I'm using Excel 2003, and have a charting question: I'm charting some
ratios for my work on a line chart, but would better like to show whether
the
said ratio is "above" or "below" our target by somehow accentuating the
"target" on the Y axis. I don't want to create a series called "target"
and
plot it on the chart.

For example, one of my charts has major Y axis numbers of .05, 1, 1.5 and
2.
Our "Target" for this particular chart is 1. How can I accentuate this
particular axis line on the chart to immediately see at a glance if a
particular point is above target or below target??

Much thanks in advance.

Jon Peltier

highlighting a row on the Y axis

You may not have scaled the secondary X axis properly. If you use an XY
series that goes from 0 to 1, Excel will use a default scale of 0 to 1.2.
On a scale of 0 to 1.2, a line from 0 to 1 goes from January through
October.

- Jon
-------