Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Default Adding an Average line (from data sheet) to a chart automatically.

Jon, my friend...you still there? :)

My charts look FANTASTIC. Thank you.

Now, I've got Fiscal Month averages calculated and (as you probably know) by
dividing that total by 12, I have a monthly average for the year. Is there a
way to pull that calculated cell and have a horizontal line add itself based
on that data, and label itself "Monthly Average?" I'd like it to place
itself, and that way, I don't have to place it manually.

Also, I'd like to add another total to the chart from a cell in my data
sheet. I'd like to have a Total Hours (for the year) calculate and populate
a box on the chart.

Can you help again? Thanks so much!
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Judi:

Here's a link to a horizontal line how-to that should give you what you are
looking for.
http://processtrends.com/pg_charts_horizontal_line.htm

Here's a link to adding cell text to the chart. While it discusses dynamic
chart titles, it works for any text that you want on your chart.

http://processtrends.com/pg_chart_dy...hart_title.htm

...Kelly

www.processtrends.com

"Judi" wrote in message
Jon, my friend...you still there? :)

My charts look FANTASTIC. Thank you.

Now, I've got Fiscal Month averages calculated and (as you probably know)
by
dividing that total by 12, I have a monthly average for the year. Is
there a
way to pull that calculated cell and have a horizontal line add itself
based
on that data, and label itself "Monthly Average?" I'd like it to place
itself, and that way, I don't have to place it manually.

Also, I'd like to add another total to the chart from a cell in my data
sheet. I'd like to have a Total Hours (for the year) calculate and
populate
a box on the chart.

Can you help again? Thanks so much!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Default Adding an Average line (from data sheet) to a chart automatica

Hmm...this helped me get the idea of what to do, but my chart is 3-fold.
When I try to add this line the way it's described in the link - to my
columnar chart - I get small columns in each area with that value, instead of
a long line.

This is how my data is formatted, and how it looks.

What you can do is arrange your data like this
(view with non-proportional font):

Value
Jan 1 4
8 5
15 6
22 7
29 8
Feb 5 9
12 10
19 11
26 12
Mar 5 13
12 14
19 15
26 16

The first column is the month if it's the first week of the month, otherwise
blank*. The second column is the day of the month. The third column is the
data. The first two cells in the top row are blank*, the cell above the
values has a label. Make a line or column chart. *These must be true blank
cells, not a formula that returns "" to look like a blank.

The X axis will look like this, with the month names centered beneath the
dates within that month:

1 8 15 22 29 5 12 19 26 5 12 19 26
Jan Feb Mar

"Judi" wrote in message
Jon, my friend...you still there? :)

My charts look FANTASTIC. Thank you.

Now, I've got Fiscal Month averages calculated and (as you probably know)
by
dividing that total by 12, I have a monthly average for the year. Is
there a
way to pull that calculated cell and have a horizontal line add itself
based
on that data, and label itself "Monthly Average?" I'd like it to place
itself, and that way, I don't have to place it manually.

Also, I'd like to add another total to the chart from a cell in my data
sheet. I'd like to have a Total Hours (for the year) calculate and
populate
a box on the chart.

Can you help again? Thanks so much!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Change the added series to an XY type with lines but no markers. Select just
the series, then go to Chart menu Chart Type.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
http://PeltierTech.com
_______

"Judi" wrote in message
Jon, my friend...you still there? :)

My charts look FANTASTIC. Thank you.

Now, I've got Fiscal Month averages calculated and (as you probably
know)
by
dividing that total by 12, I have a monthly average for the year. Is
there a
way to pull that calculated cell and have a horizontal line add itself
based
on that data, and label itself "Monthly Average?" I'd like it to place
itself, and that way, I don't have to place it manually.

Also, I'd like to add another total to the chart from a cell in my data
sheet. I'd like to have a Total Hours (for the year) calculate and
populate
a box on the chart.

Can you help again? Thanks so much!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Hi Jon! Thanks for piping in here. You already know my chart.

How do I change the added series to an XY type with lines but no markers?
My 'paste special' menu box doesn't give me that option?

THANKS!

"Judi" wrote in message
Jon, my friend...you still there? :)

My charts look FANTASTIC. Thank you.

Now, I've got Fiscal Month averages calculated and (as you probably
know)
by
dividing that total by 12, I have a monthly average for the year. Is
there a
way to pull that calculated cell and have a horizontal line add itself
based
on that data, and label itself "Monthly Average?" I'd like it to place
itself, and that way, I don't have to place it manually.

Also, I'd like to add another total to the chart from a cell in my data
sheet. I'd like to have a Total Hours (for the year) calculate and
populate
a box on the chart.

Can you help again? Thanks so much!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Using paste special adds the series in whatever style Excel feels like using
(usually the style that the last series has been changed to). Then select
just this series, go to Chart menu Chart Type, and choose the XY type you
want.

- Jon
-------