Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Default Multiple Ranges against one Domain

I used to be able to do this but now I can't seem to find the
functionality

I would like to plot multiple ranges (y-values) against a single range
(x-values)
example:

Y[1]: 1, .89,.56,.45,.25,.02
Y[2]: 1,.87,.45,.35,.20,.05
..
..
..
Y[n]:1,.82,.83,.32,.04,.04
Plot each Yset against one range (x-set)

X[1]: 3.45,3.15,2.56,1.22,.789,.45

I can brute force it: source data- add series - select x-data -
select y-data[1]........
but I have 100's of ranges all to plot against the same domain, all
against X[1]
Thanks in advance

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

If you start with your data arranged a certain way, it will make your life
much easier. The best way is in columns, with your X values in the first
column and the Y values in adjacent columns to the right. Don't skip any
columns. If there are series titles for the Y columns, put them in the row
right above the data. Don't skip any rows either. Finally, if there are Y
labels, leave the cell above the X column blank.

If you can't do columns, then do rows, X in the first row, Y labels in the
first column, top left cell blank, don't skip any rows or columns.

With the data like this, select the whole block or a single cell within the
block, and run the chart wizard. Excel will parse the range and setup one X
and many Y ranges automatically. If there are more rows than columns, Excel
will plot with series in columns, so you should just keep an eye on this in
step 2 of the chart wizard.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
http://PeltierTech.com
_______

wrote in message
oups.com...
I used to be able to do this but now I can't seem to find the
functionality

I would like to plot multiple ranges (y-values) against a single range
(x-values)
example:

Y[1]: 1, .89,.56,.45,.25,.02
Y[2]: 1,.87,.45,.35,.20,.05
.
.
.
Y[n]:1,.82,.83,.32,.04,.04
Plot each Yset against one range (x-set)

X[1]: 3.45,3.15,2.56,1.22,.789,.45

I can brute force it: source data- add series - select x-data -
select y-data[1]........
but I have 100's of ranges all to plot against the same domain, all
against X[1]
Thanks in advance

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Thanks Jon, I've used your tutorials in the past, and you've saved me a
lot of time and effort in the past, good to be able to thank you in
person.

Is there a way to do this with an exitsting chart and not use wizards,
I am trying to set up a template with spec limits, good "zones" bad
"zones"......

and click copy paste data sets in from Access for now and then
eventualy import w/ external data, and then eventualy populate the
chart with a macro

I guess I could record macro of adding a new seires and figure the code
out from there, but I am still playing with exactly what data to plot,
what specs to include on the chart and would like to play with the data
manually for a while to figure all of this out and add automation
later.

I punted and plotted averages with standard dev error bars for now, but
I have run into this before where I want to quickly add data structured
like this to an existing chart, without all the clicking and adding new
seires,

simply put is there a way to do this to an existing chart?

Thanks Jon or anyone else who replies

On Nov 10, 1:37 pm, "Jon Peltier"
wrote:
[...]

wrote in ooglegroups.com...

I used to be able to do this but now I can't seem to find the
functionality

I would like to plot multiple ranges (y-values) against a single range
(x-values)
example:

Y[1]: 1, .89,.56,.45,.25,.02
Y[2]: 1,.87,.45,.35,.20,.05
.
.
.
Y[n]:1,.82,.83,.32,.04,.04
Plot each Yset against one range (x-set)

X[1]: 3.45,3.15,2.56,1.22,.789,.45

I can brute force it: source data- add series - select x-data -
select y-data[1]........
but I have 100's of ranges all to plot against the same domain, all
against X[1]
Thanks in advance- Hide quoted text -- Show quoted text -

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

You can copy a range that meets the criteria I outlined, select the chart,
then use Paste Special from the Edit menu to add the data to the chart as
new series, series in columns (or rows), categories in first column (or
row), series names in first row (or column).

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
http://PeltierTech.com
_______

oups.com...

wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

That was awsome!, you just saved me a lot frustration

wrote:
[...]

Thanks in advance- Hide quoted text -- Show quoted text -- Hide quoted text -- Show quoted text -