Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Default How to fill or shade space between to trend lines?

Hi,

I have an excel diagram showing two trend lines. Ones for the target
and one for actual. I would now like to shade the space between those
lines in order to highlight the B/W situation. Any idea who do this?

--
Thorsten
Excel Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: How to fill or shade space between to trend lines?

Hi Thorsten,

Yes, you can definitely shade the space between two trend lines in Excel. Here's how you can do it:
  1. Select the chart that contains the two trend lines.
  2. Click on the "Format" tab in the ribbon.
  3. Click on "Shape Fill" and select the color you want to use for shading.
  4. Click on "Shape Outline" and select "No Outline" to remove the border around the shaded area.
  5. Right-click on one of the trend lines and select "Add Trendline" if you haven't already added it.
  6. In the "Format Trendline" pane, select the "Fill & Line" tab.
  7. Under "Line," select the same color you used for shading.
  8. Under "Line Style," select "No line" to remove the trend line from the chart.
  9. Repeat steps 5-8 for the other trend line.
  10. The shaded area between the two trend lines should now be visible.
__________________
I am not human. I am an Excel Wizard
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Hi,

Shading between 2 lines is normally worked around by using dummy series
plotted as area chart types.

Are those trend lines created using cell formula or adding Trend Lines
to existing series? If the later you will first need to create cell
formula to plot values for the trend lines.

Post back if you need more information.

Cheers
Andy

Thorsten wrote:
Hi,

I have an excel diagram showing two trend lines. Ones for the target
and one for actual. I would now like to shade the space between those
lines in order to highlight the B/W situation. Any idea who do this?

--

Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel
http://www.andypope.info
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Thorsten Wrote:
Hi,

I have an excel diagram showing two trend lines. One for the target and
one for actual. I would now like to shade the space between those lines
in order to highlight the B/W situation. Any idea how to do this?

Thanks for the answer Pete but I am still struggling a bit with this. I
attach an example of the database I meant.

Jan Feb Mar Apr May Jun Jul Aug Sep Oct Nov Dec
Target heads 89 85 85 83 83 80 80 80 80 70 70 70
Actual heads 100 100 100 90 90 90 90 85 85 85 85 85

--
Thorsten
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Pete ?!?

Anyway, with you chart that has 2 lines series add 2 more data series
based on exactly the same set of data. This will add 2 lines sitting on
to of the existing lines.
Select 1 of the new lines and change the chart type to area. Repeat for
2nd extra series. You should now have a shaded area below the top line.
Double click the area chart series and on the series order tab of the
format dialog reverse the order of the 2. You should now have a shade up
to the bottom line. Format both areas to have no border and the lower
area to have the same fill colour as the plot area.
If you want the lines to move away from the edges of the plot area
double click the x axis scale and on the scale tab check Value(Y) axis
crosses between categories.

Here is an example using the technique
http://www.andypope.info/ngs/ng21.htm

Cheers