Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Default Link a chart from another Excel file

I can't figure out how to paste a chart (with data I guess) into another
Excel file so that it's linked. I'm doing it in Excel 2000. Can anyone
help? thanks.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
HEK HEK is offline

Hi Andy:
I dont have XL2000 (but 2003). You can Copy and "Paste Special" [select:
Paste as Link] from Excel to Word, and likewise from Word to Excel, but not
from Excel workbook A to Excel workbook B weirdly enough. However, I tested
it by copying and pasting as link the chart from Excel to Word and then from
Word to a new Excel workbook (again copy/paste special, selecting "paste as
link"). Now if I change the numbers in my first Excel sheet, the chart
updates in BOTH Excel workbooks, amazingly (and also in Word, but who cares).
So I guess it's worth to try this workaround in Excel 2000.
HTH,
GL,
Henk

"Andy" wrote:

I can't figure out how to paste a chart (with data I guess) into another
Excel file so that it's linked. I'm doing it in Excel 2000. Can anyone
help? thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Copy the chart from one workbook, paste it into the other, and it will
remain linked to the original workbook.

If you mean, how do you link it to the new workbook, here's what I answered
to a post from a couple days ago:

Can a copy of a chart remain "live"

The charts are live, but they are still linked to the original data. You
could go through the Source Data dialog (Chart menu) to update the links to
the new data, but if the data sheets have the same layout, it is easier to
copy the whole sheet, including data and chart. This way, the chart is
linked to the data on its sheet. Then paste new data over the old and the
chart will update accordingly.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP