Jon Peltier

Default How to make a stacked bar chart using time?

Hi Guido -

To make this work more easily I inserted a column with dummy labels (a
through f). The cell above a and to the left of Dr X is blank.

Dr X Dr Y Dr Z
a 2:03 3:00 1:00
b 0:20 2:00 0:30
c 0:40 1:00 0:30
d 2:45 1:00
e 0:15
f 2:10

Select the range and make a stacked bar chart, with the series in rows.
The doctors are linked by the series (series "a" has a value for each,
for example).

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Peltier Technical Services
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
http://PeltierTech.com/
_______

Father Guido wrote:

Hi,

I have the following data to plot on a stacked bar chart, and
displayed as time.

Dr X Dr Y Dr Z
02:03 03:00 01:00
00:20 02:00 00:30
00:40 01:00 00:30
02:45 01:00
00:15
02:10

08:13 07:00 02:00

This is time in hours and minutes.

I need the result to look like this...

Dr.X bar [02:03][00:20][00:40][02:45][00:15][02:10]
Dr.Y bar [03:00][02:00][01:00][01:00]
Dr.Z bar [01:00][00:30][00:30]

where [02:03] represents a colour to represent 2 hrs & 3 mins etc.

If I just select the Dr. X data I can get a stacked chart, but as soon
as I add either Dr. Y or Dr. Z data the whole chart turns into one
large bar, not three separate bars. I can of course create three bars
if I just plot the totals, but I want the individual parts of the
total (stacked bar) to show separately. What do I need to do to keep
these three sets of data separate? I'm using Windows XP with Excel XP.

Thanks in advance!!!

Norm