Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Default Adding Secondary Value to Bar Graph

I have a bar graph where I want to label the X-axis with one set of
labels and then put a completely unrelated label inside each bar.

I know that Excel can have multiple x-axis labels, but is there a way
to have one label on the axis and one label inside the bars?

Thanks.

John

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

I have one set of labels I want on the X-axis and then an unrelated set
of labels (which are not the values) that I want inside the bars.

ex. (hard to put in text)
Category labels: A B C D E
y-values that are represented in the bars: 6 2 1 5 3 2
labels inside bars: apple bear crab dog elephant

Is there a separate "data label" option than I am missing?

Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

You can either use this free addin to link data labels to cells
http://www.appspro.com/Utilities/ChartLabeler.htm

Or add a second set of data

So with the data in A1:C5

A 6 apple
B 2 bear
C 1 crab
D 5 dog
E 3 elephant

Create a column chart on range A1:B5. Now add a second series again
using the data in B1:B5. Move this series to the secondary axis. Don't
worry that that the columns cover each other as you need to format the
secondary series to have no fill or border.
Use the source data dialog to specify the range C1:C5 as the secondary
axis labels. Now apply data labels to the second series and change
alignment to inside base. You can delete the secondary y axis and the
entry from the legend.

Cheers
Andy

Apply data labels to the series