Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Default broken scales for X axis

Hi, i have two questions:
1) does anyone know how to create a broken scale for the X axis
(without drawing them in using the line function)?

2) I have on my X axis "Weeks" and on the Y axis "Viral concentration".
Using Tushar-mehta's flexible log scale produced a great Y axis, but
when I changed the X axis scales so that it doesn't start from "week
0", the Y axis values shift so that they're not aligned next to the
major tick marks anymore. How do i stop that from happening, without
physically moving the entire graph and/or the Yaxis values?

Thanks

--
Shoque
Shoque's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=36320

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

#1: http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/BrokenYAxis.html
Written for the Y axis, but the technique works for either. The URL above
has a step by step example and links to a couple other examples, including
Tushar's.

#2: I don't exactly understand your description.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
http://PeltierTech.com
_______

"Shoque" wrote in
message ...

Hi, i have two questions:
1) does anyone know how to create a broken scale for the X axis
(without drawing them in using the line function)?

2) I have on my X axis "Weeks" and on the Y axis "Viral concentration".
Using Tushar-mehta's flexible log scale produced a great Y axis, but
when I changed the X axis scales so that it doesn't start from "week
0", the Y axis values shift so that they're not aligned next to the
major tick marks anymore. How do i stop that from happening, without
physically moving the entire graph and/or the Yaxis values?

Thanks

--
Shoque
Shoque's Profile:
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=564577

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Sorry about the incomplete description for #2

I used Tushar-mehta's flexible log scale to produce a Y axis, and
labelled the Y axis with the manual XY chart labeller (100, 1000, 10000
and so on). The data labels are aligned left of the tick marks nicely
when the X axis scales begin at "Week 0". However, I need the X axis to
start from "week 100" and when i change the X axis scales in excel, the
data labels for my Y axis will shift to the very left (thus
superimposing over my Y axis title - "Viral concentration") I've been
manually draggin each data label back to their original place but it
doesn't beat the precise alignment if the computer does it.

--
Shoque
Shoque's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=36320
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=564577

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Oh my goodness you're right! I didn't think of that. I changed the X
values for the pseudo axis to 100 and it worked perfectly. Thank you
very much!!