The Other Bollinger

Default highlight range if cell contains desired data

If any cell in column D:D contains desired data in string format ( i.e.
"Bill G" ), how would I highlight the data range in that respective row?

Example:

cell d4 contains the text "Bill G". Excel automatically colors the range
4a:4i in red.
Jason Morin

1. Select columns A to I.
2. Go to Format Conditional Formatting
3. Select "Formula Is" on the drop-down arrow, and put:
=$D1="Bill G"
4. Press the Format radio button and format as desired.

HTH
Jason
Atlanta, GA

If any cell in column D:D contains desired data in

string format ( i.e.
"Bill G" ), how would I highlight the data range in that

respective row?

Example:

cell d4 contains the text "Bill G". Excel automatically

colors the range
4a:4i in red.
.

Max

Select cols A to I

Click Formatting Conditional Formatting
For condition1, set it as:
Formula is | =$D1="Bill G"
Click Format button Patterns Red? OK
Click OK at the main dialog
--
Rgds
Max
If any cell in column D:D contains desired data in string format ( i.e.
"Bill G" ), how would I highlight the data range in that respective row?

Example:

cell d4 contains the text "Bill G". Excel automatically colors the range
4a:4i in red.

The Other Bollinger

I guess I wasnt specific enough. Lets imagine pasting data that is 10 columns
wide by 1200 rows long. After I paste this data, the respective rows would
automatically color themselves according to what was in column "D" of the
respective row. So what I need is instruction on creating a formula for the
whole worksheet. I do not wish to select a row and then conditionally format
it. I want the software to perform it for me.

Gord Dibben

TOB

Select Column A through I(or a range of cells in Columns A to I) then
FormatConditional Formatting and Formula is:

=$D1="Bill G." note the $ sign to lock the column but not the row.

Pick a color from FormatPattern and OK your way out.

Gord Dibben Excel MVP

On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 13:51:06 -0800, "The Other Bollinger" <The Other
wrote:

If any cell in column D:D contains desired data in string format ( i.e.
"Bill G" ), how would I highlight the data range in that respective row?

Example:

cell d4 contains the text "Bill G". Excel automatically colors the range
4a:4i in red.

Max

... I do not wish to select a row and
then conditionally format it ...

If you re-read the response given, the 1st step was to select the entire
cols A to I, not row by row. And the cond format formula will self-adjust
relatively to fit what is required per row. Try it again, and then test it
out to convince yourself. Input "Bill G" at any cell within col D, say in
D10. You'll see that the range A10:I10 will be formatted with red fill.
--
Rgds
Max
GMT+8, 1° 22' N 103° 45' E
xdemechanik <atyahoo<dotcom
----
"The Other Bollinger" <The Other wrote
in message ...

I guess I wasnt specific enough. Lets imagine pasting data that is 10
columns wide by 1200 rows long. After I paste this data, the respective

rows
would automatically color themselves according to what was in column "D"

of
the respective row. So what I need is instruction on creating a formula

for
the whole worksheet. I do not wish to select a row and then conditionally
format it. I want the software to perform it for me.

Gord Dibben

TOB

I think you missed the part in all three posts that specified

"select columns A to I" which means select the entire columns by clicking on
the column headers.

If you want more columns, select them before doing the CF steps.

If you want all columns, hit CTRL + A(twice in 2003)

Try it, you'll like it.

Gord