Max

... I do not wish to select a row and
then conditionally format it ...

If you re-read the response given, the 1st step was to select the entire
cols A to I, not row by row. And the cond format formula will self-adjust
relatively to fit what is required per row. Try it again, and then test it
out to convince yourself. Input "Bill G" at any cell within col D, say in
D10. You'll see that the range A10:I10 will be formatted with red fill.
--
Rgds
Max

I guess I wasnt specific enough. Lets imagine pasting data that is 10
columns wide by 1200 rows long. After I paste this data, the respective

rows
would automatically color themselves according to what was in column "D"

of
the respective row. So what I need is instruction on creating a formula

for
the whole worksheet. I do not wish to select a row and then conditionally
format it. I want the software to perform it for me.