Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Christmas Tree charts

Hi,

I have a table that lists employee names and their payscale. I want to put
this into a Christmas Tree chart (as a count of people per payscale) but
cannot find a 'chart' in Excel that will do it. I've seen them around and
would like to know how it's done.

I would also like to add a third variable (ethnicity) so will have the
chart: number of people in payband split by ethnicity.

Christmas Tree charts are similar to horizontal bar charts but are
'mirrored' on the opposite side. Here is a link to picture of what I mean.

http://tinypic.com/r/245ijhj/3

TIA,

AW
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

I remember doing something similar many years ago in Quattro Pro - I plotted
Male one side, Female the other and the "pay-bands" were age groups in my
case. I did it then as horizontal bar charts but plotted the Male numbers as
negative, so that the vertical axis was the trunk of the tree in the middle
of the chart. They were not very symmetrical, though, and as different
age-bands were not represented it didn't look very much like a Christmas
tree! <bg

Hope this helps.

Pete

"ArcticWolf" wrote in message

I have a table that lists employee names and their payscale. I want to
put
this into a Christmas Tree chart (as a count of people per payscale) but
cannot find a 'chart' in Excel that will do it. I've seen them around and
would like to know how it's done.

I would also like to add a third variable (ethnicity) so will have the
chart: number of people in payband split by ethnicity.

Christmas Tree charts are similar to horizontal bar charts but are
'mirrored' on the opposite side. Here is a link to picture of what I
mean.

http://tinypic.com/r/245ijhj/3

TIA,

AW

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

this resource might help
http://www.andypope.info/charts/floatcluster.htm

I use the andypope site as the "Go To" place for any chart questions I have.

"ArcticWolf" wrote:

Hi,

I have a table that lists employee names and their payscale. I want to put
this into a Christmas Tree chart (as a count of people per payscale) but
cannot find a 'chart' in Excel that will do it. I've seen them around and
would like to know how it's done.

I would also like to add a third variable (ethnicity) so will have the
chart: number of people in payband split by ethnicity.

Christmas Tree charts are similar to horizontal bar charts but are
'mirrored' on the opposite side. Here is a link to picture of what I mean.

http://tinypic.com/r/245ijhj/3

TIA,

AW

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Ok here goes...

Data:
Column(A) = count
Column(B) = payscale
Column(C) = count x payscale
Column(D) = Column(C) / 2
Column(E) = Max column(D) - column(D)

Chart:
Select a Stacked Bar Chart
Series 1 = Column(E)
Series 2 = Column(C)
Make the fill on series 1 = no fill

"ArcticWolf" wrote:

Hi,

I have a table that lists employee names and their payscale. I want to put
this into a Christmas Tree chart (as a count of people per payscale) but
cannot find a 'chart' in Excel that will do it. I've seen them around and
would like to know how it's done.

I would also like to add a third variable (ethnicity) so will have the
chart: number of people in payband split by ethnicity.

Christmas Tree charts are similar to horizontal bar charts but are
'mirrored' on the opposite side. Here is a link to picture of what I mean.

http://tinypic.com/r/245ijhj/3

TIA,

AW

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

On Aug 11, 6:09 pm, ArcticWolf
wrote:
Hi,

I have a table that lists employee names and their payscale. I want to put
this into a Christmas Tree chart (as a count of people per payscale) but
cannot find a 'chart' in Excel that will do it. I've seen them around and
would like to know how it's done.

I would also like to add a third variable (ethnicity) so will have the
chart: number of people in payband split by ethnicity.

Christmas Tree charts are similar to horizontal bar charts but are
'mirrored' on the opposite side. Here is a link to picture of what I mean.

http://tinypic.com/r/245ijhj/3

TIA,

AW

Hi TIA,

similar issues - different names, maybe Jon Peltiers Tornado Charts
http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/...e.html#tornado will help