Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Deb Pingel

Default Average of a , < range

Does anyone know how to average a range of numbers based on a criteria,
where the numbers have to fall within a range of data? I have tried
combining a number of statements and nothing is working. I want to
average a column of numbers that will have data added to it every day,
but throw out anything over 4 and under 14.

--
Deb Pingel
Deb Pingel's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=20119

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Peo Sjoblom

=SUMPRODUCT((A2:A100<4)+(A2:A10014),A2:A100)/SUMPRODUCT(((A2:A100<4)+(A2:A1
0014))*(ISNUMBER(A2:A100)))

or

=AVERAGE(IF(((A2:A100<4)+(A2:A10014))*(ISNUMBER(A 2:A100)),A2:A100))

the latter entered with ctrl + shift & enter

replace A2:A100 with your range (do not use the whole range A:A since the
formula won't work with that, use a range size you pretty much know won't be
larger like maybe A2:A1000 or something)

Peo Sjoblom

"Deb Pingel" wrote
in message ...

Does anyone know how to average a range of numbers based on a criteria,
where the numbers have to fall within a range of data? I have tried
combining a number of statements and nothing is working. I want to
average a column of numbers that will have data added to it every day,
but throw out anything over 4 and under 14.

--
Deb Pingel
Deb Pingel's Profile:

View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=495354

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Ashish Mathur

Hi,

You may try the following array formula (Ctrl+Shift+Enter)

=average(if((rangeA)*(range<B)),range))

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Ashish Mathur

"Deb Pingel" wrote:

Does anyone know how to average a range of numbers based on a criteria,
where the numbers have to fall within a range of data? I have tried
combining a number of statements and nothing is working. I want to
average a column of numbers that will have data added to it every day,
but throw out anything over 4 and under 14.

--
Deb Pingel
Deb Pingel's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=20119
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=495354

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Peo Sjoblom

She wanted to exclude values between 4 and 14, that means she wants the
average of values less than or equal to 4 (or less than 4 depending on her
thinking) and values greater than or equal to 14 (or greater than 14), the
multiplication you use won't work since it works as AND and how can an AND
function be both <=4 AND =14? This would need the equivalent of the OR
function which in an array would be the plus sign

Peo Sjoblom

"Deb Pingel" wrote:

Does anyone know how to average a range of numbers based on a criteria,
where the numbers have to fall within a range of data? I have tried
combining a number of statements and nothing is working. I want to
average a column of numbers that will have data added to it every day,
but throw out anything over 4 and under 14.

--
Deb Pingel
Deb Pingel's Profile:

View this thread:

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Ron Rosenfeld

On Wed, 21 Dec 2005 15:54:33 -0600, Deb Pingel
wrote:

Does anyone know how to average a range of numbers based on a criteria,
where the numbers have to fall within a range of data? I have tried
combining a number of statements and nothing is working. I want to
average a column of numbers that will have data added to it every day,
but throw out anything over 4 and under 14.

If I understand what you write, you want to AVERAGE everything that is less
than or equal to 4; as well as everything that is greater than or equal to 14.

So try:

=(SUMIF(RNG,"<=4") + SUMIF(RNG,"=14")) /
(COUNTIF(RNG,"<=4")+COUNTIF(RNG,"=14"))

--ron