Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Nigel

Default Data Validation range

Hi,
in my book i have a cell with data validation set up to collect data from a
range B5:B1005. every month, this range is empty and gets filled up
throughout the month. my problem is as i have set the validation range to
look at the range B5:B1005, i get a massive dropdown box which ( when i have
only 20 items ), is alot of space. can the validation range be sort of active
so if there is only 20 items in the range, it only lists the 20 items without
the other 800 spaces from the empty cell?
i thought maybe a named range but i cannot get it to do what i need.

any ideas greatly appreciated.

regs,

Nigel

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Bob Phillips

Try it with a formula of

=OFFSET($B$5,,,COUNTA($B$5:$B$105),1)

--
HTH

Bob Phillips

"Nigel" wrote in message
in my book i have a cell with data validation set up to collect data from

range B5:B1005. every month, this range is empty and gets filled up
throughout the month. my problem is as i have set the validation range to
look at the range B5:B1005, i get a massive dropdown box which ( when i

have
only 20 items ), is alot of space. can the validation range be sort of

active
so if there is only 20 items in the range, it only lists the 20 items

without
the other 800 spaces from the empty cell?
i thought maybe a named range but i cannot get it to do what i need.

any ideas greatly appreciated.

regs,

Nigel

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Thiem

As long as there are empty cells between two on more entries in the
range, you will sit with a massive ddl. try to remove emtly cells with
a macro, or just make sure you enter values without any empty cells in
the range.

--
Thiem
Thiem's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=27474