Brian McM

Default sum function for minutes and seconds in Excel

I have a column of song times, such as 2:56, etc. How can I add up the total
time in Excel?
Anne Troy

Use =SUM just like adding anything else. But format the cell using the
sample format that shows [h]:mm:ss;@ (shows in the list as 37:30:55)
*******************
~Anne Troy

www.OfficeArticles.com
www.MyExpertsOnline.com

"Brian McM" <Brian wrote in message
I have a column of song times, such as 2:56, etc. How can I add up the

total
time in Excel?

Brian McM

Thanks. I am dense, so please type verbatim what should be typed in the cell
below the last time, to enter the formula for a column total of times (such
as 3:45, 6:59, etc.). Seems I need to decode all the instructions I get, and
my brain is tired!
Many thanks, Brian

"JE McGimpsey" wrote:

See

http://cpearson.com/excel/datetime.htm#AddingTimes

In article ,
Brian McM <Brian wrote:

I have a column of song times, such as 2:56, etc. How can I add up the total
time in Excel?

Anne Troy

No problem, Brian...step by step:

1. In the cell where you want the total: Type =sum(
2. Then click on the first cell you want to sum, and drag to the last cell
you want to sum. Okay? So the formula looks something like =SUM(C2:C52)
3. Now, select the cell in which you typed the sum formula. Hit
Format--Cells. On the Number tab (it's the one that comes up by default),
choose Time from the Category list. On the right-hand side, the Types for
the Time category will appear. Pick the one that says: 37:30:55 and hit
OK. If that one does not appear in your list, choose Custom from the
category at the left, instead. In the top, short box on the right under
Types, type this: [h]:mm:ss;@

If you still can't get it, hey... I'll start taking screenshots, but you'll
have to ask your question at www.officearticles.com/forums instead, so I can
load the screenshots there. :)

~Anne Troy

www.OfficeArticles.com