Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default protecting certain cells in Ecxel 2007

I've created a spreadsheet for my work to calculate the number of patrons and
sales. I would like to protect only the cells that have formulas in them, so
that the formulas cannot be changed or erased.

When I highlight a cell that I want to protect, I have tried going to
"format cells" and then clicking on "protect"; but a pop up window appears
and tells me that I must turn "sheet protection" on first. However, when I do
that, the entire sheet is locked and I cannot enter in the daily guest counts.

Anybody have a solution?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Select the cells you wish users to access. Right-click with mouse and
select Format Cells. In the dialog box select Protection Page and remove
the tick from the locked option. Click Ok. Now invoke sheet protection
from Ribbon/Menu (2007/2003) and in the dialog box in the section "Allow
all users...", remove the tick against "Select locked cells". Leave the
next one. Add a password if you wish.

That's it. The users can only select and enter data in the unlocked ones.
It might be worth giving them a different background colour as well.

I am assuming you have either 2007 or 2003.

Paul

"Energizer Bunny" wrote in
message ...