Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Protecting a 2007 Workbook continued... Bob Phillips you out there

What happens if you put that code, or something similar into the workbook's
_Open event? Something like this perhaps:
Sub Workbook_Open()
If Application.Version < 12 Then
MsgBox "Contact me"
ThisWorkbook.Close
End if
End Sub

That needs to go into the This Workbook code module, not a general code
module.

When I used this with an .xlsb file it appeared to work. I even disabled
macros during startup once while opening in 2003 with the compatibility pack
installed and it ended up being opened in Read Only, the value of the results
of a SUMIFS() statement was properly displayed. I looked at the cell and
"_xlsf." had been added to the beginning of the function. I closed the
workbook and opened it again in 2007 and the function was still in one piece.

"mike_vr" wrote:

Hi Bob, thanks for getting back to me earlier. This is almost what I was
after, but not quite. If anybody else knows please feel free to throw in an
idea or two?!?

This code still allows the user to open it, after which point the formulae
get reverted to the =#N/A even though the value is still visible. When this
is now re-opened in 2007 the formula is lost (as has been my experience, but
maybe I'm missing something here?!?)

So what I'm really looking for is something like the workbook_open procedure
below but that actually stops them from opening it and giving them a message
to contact me instead before it even opens. Is this possible???

Thanks again for your help,

Mike

"Bob Phillips" wrote:

Sub TestFor2007()
If Val(Application.Version) < 12 Then
MsgBox "This workbook relies on Excel 2007," & vbNewLine & _
"and your version is lower." & vbNewLine & vbNewLine & _
"Becuase of this it will not work properly."

Call this from the Workbook_Open event procedure.

--
HTH

Bob

"mike_vr" wrote in message
Morning all

We have upgraded to Office 2007 within our office, but not across the
company yet. There are a number of worksheets that I have created using
the
new functions (e.g. SumIfs) that aren't available in earlier versions of
Excel, so that when other users open them in earlier versions it returns
the
#Name? result in the cell and effectively buggers up my formulae.

Is there a way to have a warning pop up as someone is about to open the
workbook informing them that if they do not have Excel 2007 to abort and
contact me instead? I.e. have a proceed or cancel option before opening
the
workbook, but not have to rely on Password protecting.

Thanks

Mike