Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default how to unlock spell check?

I recevied a workbook from another person and they have the spell check
button locked out so I can't use it. Question: How can I unlock button so I
can use it? If anyone can help I thank-you.
--
gage guy1
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

The worksheet has been protected, which is why the spell check button is
unavailable. Click TOOLS on the menu, select PROTECTION, UNPROTECT SHEET.

If it isn't password protected you're back in business, otherwise you'll
have to get the password from the files originator.
--
Kevin Backmann

"gage guy1" wrote:

I recevied a workbook from another person and they have the spell check
button locked out so I can't use it. Question: How can I unlock button so I
can use it? If anyone can help I thank-you.
--
gage guy1

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

thanks
but the problem is it's an Excell document that is shared with multiple
users and requires user input. (Employee evaluations). HR wants it protected
to preserve the text, but users need the ability to spell check. Any other
way to enable spell check without unprotecting?

"gage guy1" wrote:

I recevied a workbook from another person and they have the spell check
button locked out so I can't use it. Question: How can I unlock button so I
can use it? If anyone can help I thank-you.
--
gage guy1

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Note: tested on 2003 and 2007

Using a macro is the only work around that I know of.

Sub Spell_Check()
ActiveSheet.Unprotect Password:="justme"
Cells.CheckSpelling SpellLang:=1033
ActiveSheet.Protect Password:="justme", DrawingObjects:=True, _
Contents:=True, Scenarios:=True
End Sub

Unprotects the sheet, does the spellcheck then reprotects the sheet.

"justme" can be changed to your password.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP