Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default vlookup weakness

If I am compiling List 2 into list 1 using vlookup() by ID# and list 2
contains ID#s not on list 1, they are left off because there is no match.

Is there a better way to put the 2 lsits together so that they are joined
and not matched up 1 list to the other?

--
Thanks As Always
Rip
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

If you combined both lists of ID#s first, you could then extract
unique IDs. Debra Dalgleish shows how here under Filter Unique
Records:

http://www.contextures.com/xladvfilter01.html

You could then use VLOOKUP to examine both lists for each unique ID#.

Hope this helps.

On Jun 6, 12:49*pm, Ripper wrote:
If I am compiling List 2 into list 1 using vlookup() by ID# and list 2
contains ID#s not on list 1, they are left off because there is no match. *

Is there a better way to put the 2 lsits together so that they are joined
and not matched up 1 list to the other?

--
Thanks As Always
Rip

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

It is not the ID# that I need. Both lists contain different information that
have a common ID#. I am joining the information via the ID# wiht Vlookup().
Unfortunately List 1 is a partial list and list 2 is a partial list, but List
1 is longer so I use this as the master join. I just wanted to know if there
was a way to join the lists so that the missing ID#s from List 2 join with
list 1 if there is no ID# match in list 1.

I know it sounds like a who's on first scenario.
--
Thanks As Always
Rip

On Jun 6, 12:49 pm, Ripper wrote:
If I am compiling List 2 into list 1 using vlookup() by ID# and list 2
contains ID#s not on list 1, they are left off because there is no match.

Is there a better way to put the 2 lsits together so that they are joined
and not matched up 1 list to the other?

--
Thanks As Always
Rip

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Suppose your IDs are in column A of both lists (on different sheets)
and that you have a header for each. Insert a new sheet and then copy
all the IDs including the header row from List 1 into column A of the
new sheet. Then copy the IDs (without the header) from List 2 at the
bottom of the list in the new sheet, so that you are joining the two
lists together. You will now have some duplicates in column A of this
new sheet, so use advanced filter to get rid of them, as advised. You
now have a list of IDs in the new sheet, some of which will relate
only to List 1, some to List 2 and some to both lists.

Hope this helps.

Pete

On Jun 6, 12:49 pm, Ripper wrote:
If I am compiling List 2 into list 1 using vlookup() by ID# and list 2
contains ID#s not on list 1, they are left off because there is no match. *

Is there a better way to put the 2 lsits together so that they are joined
and not matched up 1 list to the other?

--
Thanks As Always
Rip- Hide quoted text -