Posted to microsoft.public.excel.setup,microsoft.public.excel,microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default custom toolbar looses buttons when closed

Hi all, I've crossposted to three groups as I'm not sure of the best
location. Apologies if this breaches protocol.

my custom excel toolbar (office97) with macros linked to 3 buttons worked
fine in Windows NT, but a recent enterprise wide upgrade to XP has resulted
in the buttons on the toolbar dissapearing each time Excel is restarted. I
understand this is because the C:\ drive is locked locked down to prevent
changes. While I understand this will be rectified, IT changes are slow in
our organisation.

I also understand this prevents me changing the default file locations and
startup in Tools, Options, general. The toolbar remains, but is empty. the
macros are still attached to the workbook.

Can anyone suggest a solution?

As I always run a Word document as well as Excel, I wondered if a macro in
the word document might be able to reset the appropriate settings and start
Excel automatically.

I look forward to any help or advice.

Charlie G

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.setup,microsoft.public.excel,microsoft.public.excel.programming

I think you'l have many fewer problems if you create the toolbar on the fly when
the workbook opens (and destroy that toolbar when the workbook closes).

For additions to the worksheet menu bar, I really like the way John Walkenbach
does it in his menumaker workbook:

Here's how I do it when I want a toolbar:
http://www.contextures.com/xlToolbar02.html
(from Debra Dalgleish's site)

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.setup,microsoft.public.excel,microsoft.public.excel.programming

Thanks Dave,

I'll have a look at these options. In the meantime I have assigned shortcut
keys to the macros, which allows a work around.

I find it strange that the tookbar and macros stay with the workbook, but
buttons dissappear. Sigh.....One day I'll understand computers - probably
the day after I understand women :-)

Charlie