Posted to microsoft.public.excel.setup

Default How do I change the default cell reference from absolute to relati

It is my understanding that cell references, by default, are set up to be all
relative. Somehow I've changed my defaults to have my cell references all be
absolute. What menu setting do I have to change to get the default back to
relative?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.setup

I don't think it was you.

If you are creating a formula and you point at a cell within the same workbook,
you'll see the relative address. If you use a cell in a different workbook,
you'll see the absolute address.

I've never seen anything that would change this behavior.

But you can select that reference and hit F4 a few times to cycle through all of
the relative/absolute addresses.

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.setup

I never realized the F4 trick. However, I must also agree with Dave,
there is no way of being able to change this pattern without having to
deal with macros. Even when dealing with macros, there is no real way
of having those codes triggered without having to use the
WorksheetChange Event on either every single worksheet of every
workbook that you touch or on every ThisWorkbook module of every
workbook that you touch. If you were to use this method, it could
create problems for others that may be modifying thus you must also
provide for some sort of trapping mechanism in order to prevent hassles
for other users.

Sincerely,

Ronald R. Dodge, Jr.

--