Posted to microsoft.public.excel.setup

Default filter on a protected sheet

I have a sheet on which I need to protect some cells. I have it
filtered. Whenever I protect the sheet, I cannot click on the little
arrow to filter, even on cells that are not protected. What am I doing
wrong?

Thanks,

Peter

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.setup

In XL XP (2002) on (I Think), you have the ability to allow filtering in the
worksheet protection dialog

--
HTH
Nick Hodge

"peter" wrote in message
ups.com...
I have a sheet on which I need to protect some cells. I have it
filtered. Whenever I protect the sheet, I cannot click on the little
arrow to filter, even on cells that are not protected. What am I doing
wrong?

Thanks,

Peter

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.setup

But you must have the filters enabled/set prior to protecting the worksheet.

XL 2002 and 2003

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Mon, 10 Jul 2006 07:48:23 +0100, "Nick Hodge"
wrote:

In XL XP (2002) on (I Think), you have the ability to allow filtering in the
worksheet protection dialog

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.setup

You can with a little VBA:

If you already have the outline/subtotals/autofilter applied, you can protect
the worksheet in code (auto_open/workbook_open??).

Option Explicit
Sub auto_open()
With Worksheets("sheet1")
.Protect Password:="hi", userinterfaceonly:=True
'.EnableOutlining = True
.EnableAutoFilter = True
End With
End Sub

It needs to be reset each time you open the workbook. (excel doesn't remember
it after closing the workbook.)

wrote:

In XL XP (2002) on (I Think), you have the ability to allow filtering in the
worksheet protection dialog

--

Dave Peterson