Posted to microsoft.public.excel.setup
Ronald R. Dodge, Jr.

Default Excel/Office Security

OS: XP Home Edition, SP2, with the latest updates.
Excel 2003, SP2, with the latest updates.

This one has been getting on my nerves and I am really hating it now. I
understand the purpose for it, but when I only use the application to open
my own files, it's rather quite annoying to have to go through the security
dialog box each and every time I go to open the file.

Security settings:

Security Level - Low
Trust all installed add-ins and templates (Checkmarked)
Trust access to Visual Basic Project (Checkmarked)

I know the last 2 shouldn't make a difference given that I have the main
security level set to "Low". Though the trust access into the VBP isn't
normally needed, I do have a couple of macros that requires that access.

When I go to open my file on my home computer within a zipped folder that
does have a macro in it, I get the following dialog box:

Do you want to open this file?

Then at the bottom, it states the following:

While files from the Internet can be useful, some files can be potentially
harm your computer. If you do not trust the source, do not open this file.
What's the risk?

The "What's the risk?" part is a hyperlink.

Sometimes, I work on this file when I'm at work, such as more so during the
week such as when I'm on break or not having much of anything else going on.
On the weekends, I also work on this file as this file is the file that I
basically keep updated more or less on a daily basis. However, to do that,
I email myself this file from home to work and vice versa. Granted, this
file is at risk of the IT and Management to see it via the email, but
outside of that, I don't have any reason why to suspect that this file would
be corrupted, and I want to disable this dialog box from coming up on my
home computer each and every time I go to open this file into my Excel 2003
application. I don't have this problem with the system that I have at work,
which runs on an OS of W2K Pro, SP4, latest updates and Excel 2002 (not sure
if it's SP2 or SP3, but anyhow, it's with the latest updates). If I had to
deal with this issue at work, it would drive me batty as I an constantly
opening files with macros in it that I have created and use quite regularly
to cut down the amount of work that I do manually rather quite substantially
as compared to what I would have been doing otherwise. I have cut down so
much work that my own primary job only requires about 10% of my total time
and I am also doing work for another department that has also been worked
down to only taking about 15% of my total time. Prior to me putting in the
automations and using the macros, it would have taken 2 people minimally to
do the same work daily over 8 hours each, and not only that, but the data
would be so much less accurate.

TIA

Ronald Dodge