Posted to microsoft.public.excel.setup
R Kapoor

Default thousand separator

I require to format my excel sheet using Indian system of formatting number
to use thousand separators which is like ##,##,##,##0.00 and not as
###,###,##0.00.

I have already changed the regional settings in Windows Contol Panel
suitably and checked the suitable option in Excel/Tools/Options to select
thousand separator as per system settings.

Still my number are formatted as ###,###,##0.00

Even custom setting to ##,##,##,##0.00 gets reverted to ###,###,##0.00

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.setup
Jerry W. Lewis

A Google search is a good place to start with questions. The first
entry in a search of Microsoft.public.excel.* groups for "Indian comma"
looks promising

http://groups.google.com/group/micro...bf439d68bbad02

Jerry

R Kapoor wrote:

I require to format my excel sheet using Indian system of formatting number
to use thousand separators which is like ##,##,##,##0.00 and not as
###,###,##0.00.

I have already changed the regional settings in Windows Contol Panel
suitably and checked the suitable option in Excel/Tools/Options to select
thousand separator as per system settings.

Still my number are formatted as ###,###,##0.00

Even custom setting to ##,##,##,##0.00 gets reverted to ###,###,##0.00

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.setup
R Kapoor

Jerry,
The link does not solve the problem as I am using Excel 2003 under Windows
XP Professional. This version of windows provides for Indian Commas Style,
which I have selected in the Windows Regional Settings.

The point is that Excel is not using this setting. Is it a bug? Should Excel
not be using the thousand separators as defined under Regional Settings in
Windows? Or am I missing something.

"R Kapoor" wrote:

I require to format my excel sheet using Indian system of formatting number
to use thousand separators which is like ##,##,##,##0.00 and not as
###,###,##0.00.

I have already changed the regional settings in Windows Contol Panel
suitably and checked the suitable option in Excel/Tools/Options to select
thousand separator as per system settings.

Still my number are formatted as ###,###,##0.00

Even custom setting to ##,##,##,##0.00 gets reverted to ###,###,##0.00

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.setup
Jerry W. Lewis

Did you try the custom format from my link, which Bob Phillips reproduced in
this thread? It works fine for me in Excel 2003. The trick is to use "\,"
instead of just "," in the custom format.

Jerry

"R Kapoor" wrote:

I require to format my excel sheet using Indian system of formatting number
to use thousand separators which is like ##,##,##,##0.00 and not as
###,###,##0.00.

I have already changed the regional settings in Windows Contol Panel
suitably and checked the suitable option in Excel/Tools/Options to select
thousand separator as per system settings.

Still my number are formatted as ###,###,##0.00

Even custom setting to ##,##,##,##0.00 gets reverted to ###,###,##0.00

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.setup
R Kapoor

Jerry,

While I agree that the custom format described by you work, the point here
is why is excel not picking up the format from the system settings. Excel
2003 is supposed to this. Right?