Posted to microsoft.public.excel.setup
Mark D. Brown, MSW

Default How to combine several worksheets

I run a smallish job placement office with 15 workers who, for various
reasons, should not have access to each other's records.

Each member of my staff has an Excel spreadsheet showing all of their
clients and data about each client. I need to create a spreadsheet that shows
all of the information from the various spreadsheets (which are all similarly
formatted). Additionally, if at all possible, we would like to have some
information flowing the other way.

As an example, let's assume there are two spreadsheets, A and B, with two
collums of information: Name and Address. I would like to create spreadsheet
C that has all of the Names and Addresses from A and B. Next, I would like to
have info in C displayed in A and B, say Phone Numbers. So, the persons using
A or B can view all information on their names and change addresses (but not
phone numbers). The person using C can view all information from both A and B
and can change phone numbers. I don't care if person C can change addresses
or not.

If this cannot be done, is there another setup that can give us similar
results?

Thanks, in advance, for any assistance!
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.setup
ufo_pilot

You can create say Book_C
In sheet1 A1 put

=IF([Book_A]Sheet1!$A$1<"",[Book_A]Sheet1!$A$1,"")

you can copy thay accross and down
Now you have an exact copy of BookA - which will ask you every time you
open it if you want to update Book_C ( and changes from Book_A will be
reflected)

Now on sheet2 of Book_C you can do the same for Book_B

If you want certain people to be able to view or change things, just use the
protection with a password
You could conditional format the Telephone# column say with white font (
against a white background) or hide the column ( best way) then lock cells
you do not want overwritten ans password protect the sheets or entire
woorkbook.
It's now up to you who you give the password to.