tinsel

Default Setting Default Row Height

Is it possible to set up the default row height for all new worksheets within
excel ? I seem to have got my default set to 13.2 where i would like it set
back to the standard 12.75 but unsure how to change this. Can change it for
the current worksheet but all new worksheets default back to 13.2. Help ?
Gord Dibben

tinsel

Don't know why/how your default row height got changed to 13.2.

What font size is Excel set for under ToolsOptionsGeneralStandard Font?

Do you have a BOOK.XLT in your XLSTART folder with the settings of 13.2?

Open a new workbook. Customize as you wish. FileSave As Type: scroll down
to Excel Template(*.XLT) and select. Name your workbook "BOOK"(no quotes).
Excel will add the .XLT to save as BOOK.XLT.

Store this workbook in the XLSTART folder usually located at........

C:\Documents and Settings\username\Application Data\Microsoft\Excel\XLSTART

This will be the default workbook for FileNewWorkbook.

You will have to manually name each book as you save it.

Existing workbooks are not affected by these settings.

You can also open a new workbook and delete all but one sheet. Customize as
you wish then save this as SHEET.XLT in XLSTART folder also. It now becomes
the default InsertSheet.

More can be found on this in Help under "templates"(no quotes).

Gord Dibben Excel MVP

On Wed, 5 Jan 2005 03:43:07 -0800, tinsel
wrote:

Is it possible to set up the default row height for all new worksheets within
excel ? I seem to have got my default set to 13.2 where i would like it set
back to the standard 12.75 but unsure how to change this. Can change it for
the current worksheet but all new worksheets default back to 13.2. Help ?

jkmuldoon9

Gord, this was helpful. I found that I in fact did not have a book.xlt file
on my hard drive, so I don't know where the 12.75 default comes from. But it
leads to another question:
If I want to change the default row height, but maybe not for every future
document, can I do that? I tried this: opening a new blank worksheet,
selecting all cells, and dragging the row height up to 18.00. But when I
saved it as a template and opened a new worksheet based on it, with Wrap Text
on, the row height stayed fixed at 18.00 and did not change to accommodate
the multiple lines of text. So the question comes down to, how can I change a
single worksheet so that the DEFAULT row height is not pinned to 12.75? How
to change the row height to leave a bigger margin of white space around the
text, without losing the auto-height feature? Word Tables can do it; can
Excel?

I could do what I did to that template, and save it as Book.xlt; but I am
afraid that this would apply the changes to every new document I open. I
don't want to do that. I just want to have control over the default cell
height without giving up Excel's capability for the worksheet to increase
that height as needed.

Thanks, jkmuldoon9

Community Message Not Available

Gord Dibben

Once you set the row height manually, it won't adjust to accommodate multiple
lines of text.

You must select the row(s) and FormatCellsAlignmentWrap Text and then
FormatRowAutofit.

You could record a macro while doing this or use this one.

Indent left and add a blank line top and bottom then wrap
text and autofit.

Note: won't work with "merged" cells.

Sub Indent_Text()
Dim Cell As Range
Dim moretext As String
Dim thisrng As Range
On Error GoTo endit
Set thisrng = Range(ActiveCell.Address & "," & Selection.Address) _
.SpecialCells(xlCellTypeConstants, xlTextValues)
moretext = Chr(10)
For Each Cell In thisrng
With Cell
.Value = moretext & Cell.Value & moretext
.Rows.AutoFit
.IndentLevel = 2
End With
Next