gasguy

Default How can I move an excel custom toolbar to another computer

Dave Peterson

Toolbars can live in a file called *.xlb (name and location depend on the
version of excel and windows).

Toolbars can live in workbooks (attached via tools|customize|Toolbars|attach
button)

Toolbars can be built on the fly when the workbook is opened and deleted when
the workbook is closed.

If you have either of the last two toolbars, just share the workbook with the
other pc.

If you have the first, make sure you find your most current version of *.xlb.

I like to make a minor change to a toolbar, then close excel.
then I use windows start button|search to look for *.xlb
when I find the one dated just moments ago, I know I have the correct on.

Then copy that to a floppy/shared drive/email attachment???

go to the other pc and verify that there are not customizations that the user
would object to losing. (Your toolbar will kill theirs!)

If it's ok, with that other person/pc, I'd make a small change to their toolbar
and close excel. Use windows start button|search to find their "real" location.

And plop the floppy/shared drive/email attachment into that folder. delete the
old version and rename the new version if required.

===
When I do this, I also delete the "rogue" *.xlb that aren't used. That way it
makes it easier for me the next time!

ps. make a copy of your toolbar when the size is smaller than 20k. These files
can get corrupted and it's lots simpler to just copy|paste the old pristine than
to rebuild manually.

gasguy wrote:

--

Dave Peterson