Iain Sloan

Default Copy Excel Custom Menus to New Computer

Hi
Can anyone tell me if I can copy my Custom menus from excel 2003 to my new
computer and how to do it.

regards

Gord Dibben

Iain

Will you be doing a full install of Office on your new computer?

If not, pick out the parts that pertain to your question(the *.XLB file
mainly)

You thought this was going to be easy, didn't you?<g

Toolbar and Menu customizations are stored in your xxxxxx.XLB file where
xxxxxx is version-dependent name.

Excel 97.....username.xlb

Excel 2000...Excel9.xlb

Excel 2002...Excel10.xlb

Excel 2003...Excel11.xlb

Note: there may be other customizations you want to transfer at the same time.

Before reading further.......

If upgrading Office version, transferring your *.xlb file from an earlier
version to a later one will reduce the functionality of new version menu
items, although most of them can be dragged onto the old menu.

Read on.........

NOTE: some settings are workbook-specific and would be stored with the
workbook.

For other global stored settings..........

Screen layout, color info, checked Add-ins and many ToolsOptions
settings are stored in the Registry, not in the *.XLB file.

To see some of what's stored in the Registry have a peek at this
section in it, if you feel comfortable.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\XX.0\E xcel\Options

XX is your version of Excel...8,9,10,11

Assuming you are aware of the precautions taken when editing the
Registry and know how to restore a recent backup of same.......

If not, maybe have a look here first...scroll down to "Registry
editing tips"

http://www.activewin.com/tips/reg/index.shtml

Export all these keys(as a branch group) to a .REG file so's you can
back them up.

Note also: you may want to move over your *.ACL(autocorrect files) and any
*.DIC files.

For a more comprehensive listing see Dave Peterson's posting at

http://snipurl.com/8r7x

Gord Dibben Excel MVP

On Wed, 12 Jan 2005 10:45:11 -0800, "Iain Sloan" <Iain
wrote:

Hi
Can anyone tell me if I can copy my Custom menus from excel 2003 to my new
computer and how to do it.

regards

Iain Sloan

Hi
Thanks for that I Copied all you said I can see my macros but the menu bar
is unchanged do I have to tell excel that its there

Regards

"Iain Sloan" wrote:

Hi
Can anyone tell me if I can copy my Custom menus from excel 2003 to my new
computer and how to do it.

regards

Gord Dibben

Iain

You have to overwrite the current Excel11.xlb file with the one you copied
over from the old computer.

Find the current file and rename it Excel11.old then paste your copied file
into that folder.

Gord Dibben Excel MVP