Posted to microsoft.public.excel.setup

Default Excell 2007 setup

How do I setup a spreadsheet to be read only, unless you know the password,
but allow sorting by other users? in my prior version when you were opening
the file it said "Read Only" recomended or "open" which required the
password. Also under the Review Tab, Excell 2007 help talks about "protect
document" selection. My version has "Protect Sheet" or "Protect Workbook",
what is the difference.
--
Daryl
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.setup

"My version has "Protect Sheet" or "Protect Workbook", what is the
difference." Broadly:-

Protect Workbook means that you will not be able to get into the Workbook,
at all, unless you know the password.

Protect Worksheet means that you will be able to get into the Workbook but
you will not be able to get into the parts of it that have been restricted.
This means that you will be able to, "see" some parts of the Workbook but not
the parts that have been restricted.

Please hit Yes if my comments have helped.

Thanks.

"Daryl" wrote:

How do I setup a spreadsheet to be read only, unless you know the password,
but allow sorting by other users? in my prior version when you were opening
the file it said "Read Only" recomended or "open" which required the
password. Also under the Review Tab, Excell 2007 help talks about "protect
document" selection. My version has "Protect Sheet" or "Protect Workbook",
what is the difference.
--
Daryl

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.setup

t_to_t

Your posted information is mostly incorrect.

Excel has three levels of protection.........four if you count VBAProject
protection.

1. File to open protection which requires a password to open the workbook
and allows any and all functions once opened.

Can be made read-only so's no changes can be saved.

2. Workbook protection which allows no changes to workbook structure or
windows.

Disables unhiding hidden sheets or renaming sheets among other features.

3. Worksheet protection which allows no changes made to the cells on a
worksheet.

Some cells can be unlocked while others are locked for editng.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

"Daryl" wrote:

How do I setup a spreadsheet to be read only, unless you know the password,
but allow sorting by other users? in my prior version when you were opening
the file it said "Read Only" recomended or "open" which required the
password. Also under the Review Tab, Excell 2007 help talks about "protect
document" selection. My version has "Protect Sheet" or "Protect Workbook",
what is the difference.
--
Daryl

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.setup

Daryl

FileSave AsExcel workbookToolsGeneral Options.

Here you set a password to open and/or modify and/or set to read only
recommended.

For protect workbook and worksheet differences see my reply to trip_to_tokyo

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP