Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default How Can I setup data in csv format in Excell?

I've a large number of opt-in names, emails, adressess, IPs, etc. I wish to
import these into GroupMail (GM) so that I can send them e-mail messages.

The recepient group has 10 fields and excell data has 10 columns. When I try
to import it into GM the 10 colums are inserted under 3 fields which of
course will not work.

What would be the solution, please?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

What are the field seperators in the file you are importing
If they are ","'s then it should work by default

Steve

On Tue, 14 Nov 2006 19:00:01 -0000, graywolf
wrote:

I've a large number of opt-in names, emails, adressess, IPs, etc. I wish
import these into GroupMail (GM) so that I can send them e-mail messages.

The recepient group has 10 fields and excell data has 10 columns. When I
try
to import it into GM the 10 colums are inserted under 3 fields which of
course will not work.

What would be the solution, please?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

wrote:

I've a large number of opt-in names, emails, adressess, IPs, etc. I wish
import these into GroupMail (GM) so that I can send them e-mail messages.

The recepient group has 10 fields and excell data has 10 columns. When I
try
to import it into GM the 10 colums are inserted under 3 fields which of
course will not work.

What would be the solution, please?

Many thanks SteveW for taking the time to reply.

There are no field separators as such as each listed in its own column. Are
you suggesting that I should add ", at the end of each column entry and " at
the beginning of each column entry? To do that manually will take ages given
that I've around 50,00 opt-ins. Is there an easier way?

Thanks again steveW. I'm rather desperate on this issue. Anything you can do
for me will be greatly appreciated.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

wrote:

[...]

Commas aren't required, but some standard field seperator is needed.
It can be done on columns, as long as each row has the same column widths
ie (and I'll use x as a space in the example)
Field1xxxField2xxxxxxxxField3xxxxxxxx
Row2xxxxxRow2.2xxxxxxxxField3inRow2xx

etc

CSV files aren't usually formatted this way, if they are you'll find that
when you open it you get the 3 fields you mentioned.

you will probably then have to use Data, Text to Columns... on each column
that you get
and split the text into the columns that you really want.

--
Steve (3)
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi SteveW,

Many thanks for your efforts, much appreciated.

I found all I need he
http://www.group-mail.com/asp/common...les.asp?id=129

It is very well written in simple language that even I can understand.

Many thanks

Best regards