Posted to microsoft.public.excel.setup

Default Unable to Open Excel Files

I'm using Excel 2000 and used to have the File drop-down menu display the
last several files (4) used. For some reason, that feature has disappeared
and when I attempted to reset that feature, I screwed up something and now
when I open Excel, it immediately tries to open my *.doc files and the
drop-down message says it, obviously, cannot open them and cannot get out of
it without rebooting. Suggestions, please!

Bill

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.setup

ToolsOptionsGeneralRecently Used Files List............check it and set a
number.

For the second problem, delete any path in ToolsOptionsGeneral "At start
up open all files in:"

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Thu, 2 Apr 2009 09:10:35 -0700, "Bill Helbron"
wrote:

I'm using Excel 2000 and used to have the File drop-down menu display the
last several files (4) used. For some reason, that feature has disappeared
and when I attempted to reset that feature, I screwed up something and now
when I open Excel, it immediately tries to open my *.doc files and the
drop-down message says it, obviously, cannot open them and cannot get out of
it without rebooting. Suggestions, please!

Bill

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.setup

Hi Gord,

Thanks for your reply! Fortunately, about 10 minutes after I posted the
email, I found my problem. I keep a few of my *.xls files in different
location and set that location in the "Alternate files location:" block. I
didn't remember that that particular location also had many *.doc files in
it! So I deleted the "Alternate file location" and everything returned to
normal!

Thanks again!