Posted to microsoft.public.excel.setup,microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.browser

Default Opening Local Files

(cross-post added to Excel Setup)
"hedylogus" wrote in message ...
Here's my issue....

The default action when you double-click a XLT file is "New"--meaning a new
XLS file will be created based on the XLT template file. If you right-click
the XLT and select "Open", it will open the actual XLT file for editing.

That probably assumes that you have Excel installed and configured
correctly. ; }

FWIW I don't. Just the viewer:

<cmd_output OS="XPSp3"
E:\assoc .xlt
..xlt=Excel.Template

E:\ftype Excel.Template
Excel.Template=F:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\Office12\Moc.e xe "%1"
</cmd_output

However, if you access an XLT via a hyperlink in IE (let's say via a work
intranet site), and click "Open", the default action is not executed.
Instead, it "opens" the XLT file for editing. The same occurs for DOT files
as well.

BTW, this is contrary to what happens in Firefox (which is not an
option).

By default IE opens files other than web pages based on the
download's Content-Type not by extension,
so that fact might explain that discrepancy.

How do I change the default action of IE to match the default action of
Windows Explorer? When I click the hyperlink for the XLT file, then click
"Open" (instead of Save or Cancel), I want the "New" action to be executed.

Thanks in advance.

I can't see that this has much to do with IE.
You would probably get more knowledgeable help from an Excel NG.
Cross-posting to one for convenience.

Good luck

Robert Aldwinckle
---