Posted to microsoft.public.excel.setup

Default Open two Excel docs in dual windows

How can I set Excel 2007 to open as separate windows whenever I open an Excel
workbook and not in the same window?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.setup

On Sep 26, 4:21*pm, Carole wrote:
How can I set Excel 2007 to open as separate windows whenever I open an Excel
workbook and not in the same window?

And I have the opposite question! My excel 2007 on vista opens
workbooks in separate windows and I want to stop it. A big
disadvantage of seperate windows is you can't run macros open in other
windows as they are effectively separate instances of excel and it
drives me nuts! Any help would be very helpful.

Mike

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.setup

Microsoft loves to feed the public dog food. You take our apps the way we
make it or you'll have to figure out how to hack the settings on your own.
Anyway, you make the changes you need by following the steps below.

Use the File Association Settings
You have to tell Excel not to use DDE to open the worksheet.
Open Windows Explorer, Tools, Options, File Types
Scroll down to XLS
Select Advance Button
Click on OPEN in the Actions window, Then Edit
On the 2nd line for application used add "%1".
Make sure to put the quotes around %1.
Example ...\Excel.exe" /e "%1"
Write down what you see in the DDE Section.
You will need this information if you want to return to the original settings.
Now DeSelect Use DDE
When you double click on any XLS file a separate instance of excel will run.
Another advantage is that you can open more than one XLS file with the same
name