Posted to microsoft.public.excel.setup

Default Cannot bold, italicize or underline text - Excel hangs

MS Office 2003, Windows XP Home
This just started happening today...until now Excel has worked fine.
If I try to bold, underline or italicize text the program hangs. I
have uninstalled and reinstalled Office, done the updates. Very
strange. As far as I can tell, all other functions work, include those
on the formatting bar. If I use the Format on top toolbar, I get the
formatting dialog box but then the app hangs. The only related thing I
can find on the web is people who cannot open or save documents, but I
have no problem with that. When the Microsoft Report Error screen
comes up, the technical details are two files:

C:\DOCUME~1\User1\LOCALS~1\Temp\WERcaea.dir00\EXCE L.EXE.mdmp
C:\DOCUME~1\User1\LOCALS~1\Temp\WERcaea.dir00\appc ompat.txt

I have ran Detect and Repair as well. The Event Viewer simply shows
Application Hang, with no help. I have no idea what to do next. Any
help would be appreciated.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.setup

Just a complete guess...

Do you use a network printer or a local printer? If you use a network printer,
try changing to a local printer.

In fact, try changing to a different printer if that doesn't work.

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.setup

BlueTele wrote:

[...]

Dave Peterson- Hide quoted text -

Dave,

Wow, is all I can say. That did it. I have two network printers and
had turned the default printer off until I got a new cartridge. I must
say I'm a bit stunned that software at the level of MS Excel chokes on
that. Regardless, thank you for taking the time to respond...it is
much appreciated.