Junior Member

Default Unformatted, formatted excel documents(?)

Is this possible...

I have a formatted documnet that I distribute with variable column/row sizes, gridlines off, colors, boxes etc etc. Is it possible that someone else could open that document and and see the same document but in an UNFORMATTED view. I didnt think that this was possible, but wanted to see if anyone else has had this problem.

Thanks
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.setup

--
shnim1

I think because Excel formatting is embedded into the spreadsheet
itself so it doesn't matter who open it. They will see the same
spreadsheet as you do.
Hope this helps

Westie
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.setup

By "someone else" do you mean anyone else but yourself or a specific "someone"?

It would be simple enought to wipe out the formatting by VBA code if the
"someone" was identified as the workbook opener.

Or you could wipe out the formatting in a copy you distributed to "someone"
before you send the copy.

Post back with details.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Thu, 7 Feb 2008 19:04:56 +0000, shnim1
wrote:

Is this possible...

I have a formatted documnet that I distribute with variable column/row
sizes, gridlines off, colors, boxes etc etc. Is it possible that
someone else could open that document and and see the same document but
in an UNFORMATTED view. I didnt think that this was possible, but wanted
to see if anyone else has had this problem.

Thanks

Junior Member

Thanks for the response..

I have a workbook that I am going to commercially distribute. All of the Beta testers do not see a problem, apart from one person who downloaded the folder and loaded it on his machine (newish laptop running xp). He says that the spreadsheet is unformatted, and we should delay distribution.

I think he is stalling (for some reason) as I dont think it is possible that a formatted spreadsheet will be unformatted when opened.

Any thoughts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gord Dibben View Post

wrote:

Is this possible...

I have a formatted documnet that I distribute with variable column/row
sizes, gridlines off, colors, boxes etc etc. Is it possible that
someone else could open that document and and see the same document but
in an UNFORMATTED view. I didnt think that this was possible, but wanted
to see if anyone else has had this problem.

Thanks
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.setup

If your workbook had code that produced the formatting upon opening the workbook
I could see the user not allowing macros, thus not allowing the formatting.

If the formatting was established prior to sending the workbook I could not
imagine formatting not being there.

Gord

-